Last Update: 15th October 2020
Covering an area of 1.98 square kilometers, Wuzhen Dongzha is located some 1.5 hours ride from Suzhou. Many locals still live there, which offers a great chance to you to experience local authentic culture and traditions.
- Chinese Name: Wuzhen Dongzha (乌镇东栅)
- Area: 1.98 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, History and Culture, Architecture
- Who visits: Photographers, History and Culture Lovers, Architects
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
Houses across Wuzhen Dongzha stand along the Dongshi River running through the district. Walk along the river and you’ll see most of the main scenic spots there.
Jin’s Residence transformed into the local folk museum presents the local folk customs related to etiquette in the birthday ceremony, wedding traditions, etc. Wax figures in the museum demonstrate the local wedding and funerals customs. Costumes, and pictures reflect the history and changes of the clothing.
The wooden carvings exhibition hall is well-known for the exquisite wooden carvings, including figures, birds, beasts and flowers on windows and doors. It was formerly the residence of the rich family – Chen. In addition, diverse species of the wooden carvings there tell the traditional Chinese culture as well.
Yu Liuliang Coin Exhibition Hall showcases coins made of more than 10 species of materials, such as gold, silver, copper, iron, tin, aluminum, lead, antimony, pottery, nickel, paper, bamboo, bone, glass and plastic. Yu Liuliang has collected more than 26,000 pieces of coins from more than 230 countries and regions.
Apart from the old traditional houses, you’ll be able to appreciate local cultural shows. Kung Fu Boat reproduces the scene when locals practise Kung Fu on the boat. You can watch it along the river in the shops area.
After exploring Xiuzhen Taoist Temple, you can appreciate Huagu Opera performed on the old stage in the temple. It is based on the local legends and sung in local dialects. Shadow play is also popular in Wuzhen Dongzha. Shadow Play Theater of Dongzha Ying’s Bridge presents the exciting and interesting shadow plays.
If you’d like to visit the district for photography purposes, the best time to visit is at sunrise or sunset.
The best months to visit are from March to October.
Unfortunately, there is no direct bus to Wuzhen Dongzha from Suzhou. Thus, the only option is to rent a vehicle to the district.
- Opening hours: 07:00 – 18:00 (May – September); 07:00 – 17:30 (October – April)
- As at 15th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the garden is 110 CNY per person; children between 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) and 1.4m tall (1.4m tall not included) are charged 55 CNY per person; the elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 70 years old (70 years old not included) are charged 80 CNY per person; the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) and children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge; For the latest pricing, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Opening hours for Kung Fu Boat: 08:30 – 08:40; 09:30 – 09:40; 10:30-10:40; 11:10-11:20; 13:30-13:40; 14:30-14:40; 15:30-15:40 and 16:10-16:20
- Opening hours for Huagu Opera: 10:00-10:30; 11:00-11:30; 13:00-13:30; 14:00-14:30; 15:00-15:30 and 16:00-16:30
- Opening hours for Shadow Play: 09:30; 10:00; 10:30; 11:00; 13:00; 13:30; 14:00; 14:30; 15:00 and 15:50