Wuyou Temple - exquisite Chinese Buddhist Temple in Leshan
Last Update: 7th October 2020
What is the Wuyou Temple?
Open to the public in 1984, Wuyou Temple stands on the top of Wuyou Mountain (乌尤山) at the meeting point of Dadu River (大渡河), Tingyi River (青衣江) and Min River (岷江) in Leshan, Sichuan Province. Formally called the Zhengjue Temple (正觉寺), the temple was originally built in the Tang Dynasty (618 – 907). Red walls and black tiles create a stunning view for visitors.
Wuyou Temple Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Wuyousi (乌尤寺)
- Area: 12 x square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Culture of Chinese Buddhism, Hiking
- Who visits: Photographers, Culture of Chinese Buddhism Learners, Hikers
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
What to expect at the Wuyou Temple
Wuyou Temple is hidden in forests while Wuyou Mountain is surrounded by waters in all directions. There are 7 well-preserved halls in the temple area, such as Hall of Heavenly Kings, Maitreya Hall, Amitabha Hall, the Main Hall, Avalokitesvara Hall, Arhat Hall, etc.
In the Hall of Heavenly Kings, you will admire the statues of the four Heavenly kings after you entering the gate of the temple
In the Amitabha Hall, there is a 5-meter-tall statue of Amitabha behind which there are 48 statues. The 48 statues stand for the wishes Amitabha has made.
Built in 1913, the Main Hall is the most important in the temple. In the center of the hall, you will appreciate the statues of Sakyamuni, Manjusri, and Samantabhadra in the style of the Tang Dynasty(618 – 907). Covered with gold, each statue is 4 meters tall. They are carved from camphorwood trees. In addition, you can explore the Arhat Hall with 500 statues of Arhat.
Best time to visit the Wuyou Temple
Although Wuyou Temple is located in the scenic area of Leshan Big Buddha, fewer visitors explore the temple. Therefore, the best time to visit the temple is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from March to May and from September to October.
How to get to Wuyou Temple
As Wuyou Temple is in the scenic area of Leshan Big Buddha, you need to arrive at Leshan Bid Buddha first. After reaching the Buddha, please hike up to the temple.
- Rent a vehicle to the Buddha from Chengdu or Leshan. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a high-speed train from Chengdu to Leshan. Then, take Bus 13 or Bus 3 from Leshan to the Stop of the Big Buddha Temple (大佛寺站).
- Take a shuttle bus from the Bus Station of Chengdu New South Gate (成都新南门汽车站) between 07:10 and 21:30 to Leshan. The shuttle bus runs every 20 minutes. Then, take Bus 13 or Bus 3 from Leshan to the Stop of the Big Buddha Temple (大佛寺站).
Additional Wuyou Temple Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 07:30~18:30 (April 1st – October 7th); 08:00~17:30 (October 8th – March 31st )
- Visitors who are interested to explore the temple need to get the ticket for Leshan Big Buddha as the temple is situated in the scenic area of Leshan Big Buddha.
- As at 7th October 2020, entrance pricing for Leshan Big Buddha ( including Wuyou Temple (乌尤寺) and the Mahaoya Tomb (麻浩崖墓)) is 90 CNY per person; children under 1.2m (1.2m not included) and the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge; the elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 69 years old (69 years old included) are charged 45 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- It takes around 30 minutes hike up to the temple from Leshan Big Buddha.
- If you finishing exploring the temple, please don’t walk back to the gate of the Leshan Big Buddha. That you get to the temple means that you have walked out of the scenic area of Leshan Big Buddha. If you go back to the gate and want to admire Leshan Big Buddha, you have to buy the ticket again.
- Please be careful on rainy days.