Wuhouci Temple - influential Three Kingdoms Museum located in Chengdu
Last Update: 20th November 2019
What is the Wuhouci Temple?
Covering an area of 15 hectares, Wuhouci Temple was originally built in 221 AD. The temple is to worship Zhuge Liang and Liu Bei. Wuhouci Tmeple Museum is composed of the Cultural Relics Zone for the Historical Ruins of the Three Kingdoms, the Zone for Experiencing the Culture of the Three Kingdoms, and the Zone for Jinli Folk Customs.
Wuhouci Temple Fast Facts
Interested in visiting the Wuhouci Temple on a Chengdu Tour?
Wendy Wei Tours offers a variety of different packaged tours as well as custom tours including the Wuhouci Temple, among other attractions and destinations. To find out more, please visit our Tours page or Contact Us directly to find out more.
What to expect at the Wuhouci Temple
Wuhouci Temple is situated at No. 231, Wuhouci Street (武侯祠大街), Wuhou District (武侯区), Chengdu. Except Huiling Mausoleum, the main buildings in the temple, Zhuge Liang Temple and Hanzhaolie Temple was rebuilt in 1672. At the gate of Hanzhaolie temple, visitors will view one stone lion with a height of 2.7 meters on either side of the gate.
In Zhuge Liang Temple, the gold-plated clay statues of Zhuge Liang, his son - Zhuge Zhan and his grandson - Zhuge Shang are worshiped. Visitors can admire the inscriptions, horizontal inscribed boards and couplets left by the celebrities in the ancient China. There are numerous wood and stone carvings in the temple waiting for you to explore as well.
Huiling Mausoleum is located to the west of Zhuge Liang Temple. With a history of more than 1,700 years, the mausoleum is the forever sleeping place for Liu Bei and his two wives. It is well-preserved without being excavated and stolen. A screen wall stands in front of the mausoleum. The board with the Chinese characters of “Han Zhao Lie Zhi Ling” (汉昭烈之陵) on is hanged on the mountain gate.
Liu Bei Temple is the tallest and the grandest among the buildings in Wuhouci Temple. The gold-plated clay sculpture of Liu Bei with a height of 3 meters stands in the middle of the temple. Visitors can also see the sculpture of Guan Yu in the east side hall and the sculpture of Zhang Fei in the west side hall of the temple.
Visitors can also enjoy the valuable trees, such as ginkgo, rhododendron, Chinese flowering crabapples, camellia, magnolia denudata, and wintersweet, see the cultural relics in the museum, including paintings, calligraphy, bronze ware, porcelain, coins and so on and the red walls and explore the ancient street Jinli Pedestrian Street with a variety of local food, handicrafts and specialties.
Best time to visit the Wuhouci Temple
The best months to visit Wuhouci Temple is from March to May and from September to November as these months are not so cold or so hot.
How to get to the Wuhouci Temple
Wuhouci Temple is located in downtown Chengdu. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the temple. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 1, Bus 57, Bus 82, Bus 334 and Bus 335 to Stop of Wuhouci (武侯祠站)
- Take Metro Line 3 to the Stop of the Gaosheng Bridge(高升桥站). And walk to the Entrance D. Out of the entrance, walk for about 10 minutes to the temple.
- Take a direct bus from Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport, Chengdu East Bus Station(成都东汽车客运站), Kuanzhai Ancient Street(宽窄巷子), Du Fu Cottage(杜甫草堂), Jinsha Archaeological Site(金沙遗址), Chunxi Pedestrian Street(春熙路), Dujiangyan Irrigation System(都江堰) and Sanxingdui Site(三星堆遗址) to the temple.
Additional Wuhouci Temple Travel Advice
- Opening hours: May 1st – October 31st: 08:00 – 20:00 ( the tickets are not issued from 19:30); November 1st – April 30th : 08:00 – 18:30 (the tickets are not issued from 17:30)
- As at 20th November 2019, entrance pricing for the temple is 60 CNY per adult; 30 CNY per person is for the children between 6 years old (6 years old not included) and 18 years old (18 years old included); 30 CNY per person is for the elder between 60 years old and 69 years old (69 years old included); Children under 6 years old (6 years old included) or 1.3m accompanied by adults are free of charge; The elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge.
- The museum offers English interpretation service: 150 CNY one time for the group of 1 – 5 persons; 200 CNY one time for the group of 6 – 10 persons; 250 CNY one time for the group of 11 – 15 persons; 300 CNY one time for the group of 16 – 20 persons; 350 CNY one time for the group of more than20 persons; Duration for interpretation services: 1 hour.
- For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- Please get the ticket at the museum ticket offices.
- Those who are free to visit the museum are required to get the free tickets at the tourists center.
- Don’t talk loudly in the museum.