Wolong Temple - the oldest temple in Shaanxi Province
Last Update: 9th October 2020
What is the Wolong Temple?
Located on Boshulin Street, Beilin District, Xi’an, Wolong Temple was originally built between 168 and 189. It has a history of more than 1,800 years. Time flies and the temple has been repaired for several times. Wolong Temple was declared as national key temple of Buddhism in Han nationality region by China State Council.
Wolong Temple Fast Facts
Interested in visiting the Wolong Temple during a Xian Tour?
Wendy Wei Tours offers a variety of different packaged tours as well as custom tours including the Wolong Temple, among other attractions and destinations. To find out more, please visit our Tours page or Contact Us directly to find out more.
What to expect at the Wolong Temple
Wolong Temple covers an area of 10,000 square meters and is divided into three courtyards: the Middle Courtyard, the East Courtyard and the West Courtyard. With the main halls, the Middle Courtyard covers an area of 4,000 square meters. The statues of Four Heavenly Kings, Skanda, Sangharama Bodhisattva, Sakyamuni Buddha, Manjusri Buddisattva, Samantabhadra Bodhisattva, Ksitigahba Buddhisattva and other Buddhist Bodhisattva are worshipped in the temple.
In addition, visitors also can admire the ancient stone steles in the temple. The inscription on these steles is clear to see. It is an important historical material for studying the Wolong Temple in the Tang (618 - 907), Ming (1368 - 1644) and Qing (1644 - 1912) Dynasties, and also has the value of painting and calligraphy. Countless Buddhist believers visit the temple to worship Bodhisattva every day.
Best time to visit the Wolong Temple
Visitors can visit Wolong Temple all time during its opening hours.
How to get to the Wolong Temple
Wolong Temple is situated in downtown Xi’an. Therefore, there are some options.
- Rent a vehicle to Wolong Temple. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 7, 8, 29, 37, 43, 45, 46, 47, 118, 201, 203, 218, 235, 251, 252, 258, 300, 309, 502, 601, 604,K605, 606, 611, 612, 619, 622, 706, and Bus 710 to get off at the Stop of Duanlvmen (端履门站). Then walk southward for 300 meters.
Additional Wolong Temple Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 08:00 - 18:00
- As at 9th October 2020, visitors can visit the temple for free. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Do not wear shorts and short skirts and mini-dress in the temple.
- Do not talk loud in the temple.