Urumqi Peoples Park – the largest and oldest park in Urumqi
Last Update: 17th October 2020
Surrounded by ancient trees, People’s Park of Urumqi was originally a lake on the west bank of the Urumqi River. When the Urumqi City was built in 1755, it was turned into an official place for rest. Nowadays, you can admire the elder’s dancing with the natural beauty in the park. In spring, tulip exhibition in the park is a highlight.
Urumqi Peoples Park Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Wulumuqi Renmin Gongyuan (乌鲁木齐人民公园)
- Average Altitude: 800 x meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Hiking
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts
- Time required: 1 – 3 x hours
What to expect at the Urumqi Peoples Park
People’s Park of Urumqi is dotted with a variety of trees and flowers. In addition, some old buildings make the park more attractive. You will see Longwang Temple, Zuixia Pavilion, Xiaochun Pavilion, Chaoyang Pavilon built in 1926, Jianhu Pavilion, and the Yuewei Cottage built to commemorate Ji Xiaolan – a great scholar in the Qing Dynasty (1644 – 1912).
Built in 1899, Jianhu Pavilion is the best-preserved building in the park. Surrounded by waters in the west, east and north, the pavilion features lifelike paintings of animals and flowers.
From April to October, flowers exhibitions, bonsai exhibitions, painting and calligraphy exhibitions, photographic exhibitions are regularly held in the park. Children will enjoy themselves at the children’s playground. If you are luckily, you could see the local elder practicing singing, dancing or playing the local instruments in the park.
Between December and March, you will find ice sculptures in the park. Skating competitions are always held in winter. Jianhu Lake freezing in winter, locals love to skate on the lake.
Best time to visit the Urumqi Peoples Park
If you are planning to visit for photography purposes, the best time to visit is during the sunset.
The best months to visit are from May to September.
How to get to the Urumqi Peoples Park
Several buses pass by the mountain. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the mountain. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 7, 17, 35, 58, 61, 62, 63, 68, 73, 157, 508, 528a,528, 902, 907, 910 and Bus 927 to the Stop of Xiaoximen (小西门). Then walk westwards.
Additional Urumqi Peoples Park Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 07:00 – 23:00
- As at 17th October 2020, it is free to visit the park.
- If you are planning to visit the park in winter, please wear enough warm clothes and take care of your valuables.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream, sunglasses and the like as it is dry around the year in Urumqi.