Turpan Geyser - a spring in a gully at the southern foot of the Flaming Mountains
Located about 28 kilometers west of Turpan, Turpan Geyser has an altitude of 100 meters. It lies in a gully at the southern foot of Flaming Mountains. In the form of overflow, the spring comes from Cretaceous stratum. It flows very slowly. In a day, the quantity of the flow is about 0.51 cubic meters. The water temperature in the spring is some 15 centigrade around the year.
- Chinese Name: Tulufan Shenquan (吐鲁番神泉)
- Depth: 10 x meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Geology, Hiking
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Geologists
- Time required: approx.30 x minutes
To the north of the spring is a deep Cretaceous stratum that is cut by flows. The stratum consists of gray-green and maroon mudstones. Nearly upright, the spring forms a deep gully with a depth of more than 10 meters. Local people respect the spring. A legend tells that the water in the spring can remove dandruff and cure skin diseases. Locals always use the water to wash hair and the body.
Best time to visit the Turpan Geyser
If you are planning to visit Turpan Geyser for photography purposes, the best time to visit Turpan Geyser is during the sunset.
How to get to the Turpan Geyser
As Turpan Geyser is located at the southern foot of Flaming Mountains, you could take a direct bus from Turpan Bus Station to Flaming Mountains. Then walk to the spring.Or, you can rent a vehicle to the spring from Turpan.
Additional Turpan Geyser Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 08:00 – 21:00 (April 21 – October 20); 10:00 – 18:30 (October 21 – April 20)
- As at 17th October 2020, the entrance pricing to Turpan Geyser is 30 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- Please take enough food with drinking water with you.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream, sunglasses and the like to stop the strong sunlight shining your body directly in the dry weather.
- Please take enough warm clothes with you even in summer as the temperature difference is big between the daytime and the evening in Turpan.
- As there is no road in the Flaming Mountains, please do not walk too far in the mountains in case of being lost.