Tujia Park - offering the authentic Tujia Customs and Tujia buildings!
Last Update: 6th October 2020
What is the Tujia Park?
Tujia Park in the Yongding District (永定区) is located 3 kilometers from Zhangjiajie airport and 7 kilometers from Zhangjiajie Railway Station. Visitors can admire the Tusi Castle, Tujia buildings and wonderful Tujia folk customs.
Tujia Park Fast Facts
Interested in visiting the Tujia Park on a Tour?
Wendy Wei Tours offers a variety of different packaged tours as well as custom tours including the Tujia Park, among other attractions and destinations. To find out more, please visit our Tours page or Contact Us directly to find out more.
What to expect at Tujia Park
Most of the buildings in Tujia Park are made of wood and stone. Tujia Park offers the Tusi Castle (土司城) - an ancient Tujia Mounatin Village (土家山寨), Hand-waving Hall (摆手堂), Houwang Palace (垕王宫) and Hall of Bizika Sacred Flame (毕兹卡圣火堂, the evening venue). There is the Greeting-guest ceremony during which visitors can enjoy the intoxicating Tujia blocking wine (土家拦门酒) at the gate. In the Tusi Castle, visitors can visit ancestor worshiping ceremony, historical and cultural relics and folk customs demonstrations of Tujia ethnic minority. The tallest building with high feet in the world - “Jiuzhongtian” (九重天) stands in the park. In addition, you also can enjoy the oldest dance of Tujia - “Maogusi” Dancing (毛古斯) performed by 1,000 locals there.
The 12-storeyed Tusi Castle is 48 meters tall. It is built in wood without a nail. When you arrive at the gate of the castle, you will see the Greeting-guest ceremony of Tujia. The Tujia boys play the drum and blows horns, while the Tujia girls sing the blocking song (拦门歌), and drink a toast of blocking wine to you. After entering the castle, you could see the large-scale Tujia ancestral worship activities in front of the worship hall. Generally speaking, these activities take place at 10:00 and 16:00 every day. All ages of locals sing Hand-waving Song and do the Hand-waving Dance.
The Hall of Bizika Sacred Flame was built in 2003. The evening show performed in the hall, "Folk Customs of Tujia and Miao Minority" (《土风苗韵》), artistically reflects the local customs of the Tujia and Miao peoples in the western Hunan Province through the 3 chapters of "Blessing", "Customs" and "Marriage Customs".
Best time to visit Tujia Park
If you are planning to visit Tujia Park for photography purposes, the best time to visit is before 10:00 or 16:00 as there are many activities reflecting Tujia customs at 10:00 and 16:00 at Tusi Castle. The best months to visit Tujia Park are March, April, May, September, October and November as it is not too hot or too cold during these months.
How to get to the Tujia Park
There are 3 buses passing Tujia Park in Zhangjiajie - Bus 5, Bus 10b and Bus 10a. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to Tujia Park from Zhangjiajie Airport or Train Station. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 10b or 10a from Zhangjiajie Train Station to Tujia Park. Get off at the Stop of Tujia Park (土家风情园).
- Take Bus 5 from Zhangjiajie Central Bus Station to Tujia Park. Get off at the Stop of Tujia Park.
Additional Tujia Park Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 08:00 - 17:00
- As at 6th October 2020, entrance pricing is 120 CNY per person; Children under 1.2m (1.2m not included) are free of charge; The elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge; entrance pricing for children between 1.2m (1.2m included) and 1.4m (1.4m not included) is 60 CNY per person; entrance pricing for the elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 70 years old (70 years old not included) are charged discounted price of about 60 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Tujia Park offers complimentary interpretation service to visitors.
- Please respect local customs and tradition.
- Many shops with local specialties, such as silver items, batik items and brocades are situated in the park. Visitors can buy things they are interested in. Generally speaking, the pricing for them in the park is more expensive than that outside the park.
- If you are not interested to buy the items, you’d better not ask for the price or even touch it in order to avoid unnecessary trouble. If you’d like to get it, you should observe it carefully at first. Then, ask for its pricing.
- Don't be curious about quarrels or bizarre scenes. If you do that, you are most likely to be stolen.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream to protect your skin in summer.