Trang An Grottoes – a combination of nature and culture in Ninh Binh
Last Update: 24th October 2020
Located around 90 kilometers from Hanoi, Trang An Grottoes was declared as World Natural and Cultural Heritage Site by the UNESCO in 2014. The area is acclaimed as “Dry Ha Long Bay” as it is dotted with many limestone hills and tens of grottoes.
Trang An Grottoes Fast Facts
- Name: Trang An Grottoes
- Area: 2,168 x hectares
- Things to do there: Adventure, Photography, Caves
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventurers
- Time required: 3 – 4 x Hours
What to expect at the Trang An Grottoes
With a distinctive beauty, Trang An Grottoes feature 48 grottoes connected by 30 valleys to explore. The only travel method to explore them is to take a boat tour around the area. The 3-hour boat tour will take you to go through several grottoes to appreciate their uniqueness. Some entrances to the grottoes are very low that passengers have to bend to enter them. When you go through the grottoes, you may see many jars with liquor in. In addition, stalactites in the grottoes are also a feast for eyes. If lucky enough, you may see old temples in the grottoes.
Along the tour, you’ll find some small trees in the river. You may see ducks enjoying swimming in the river or bulls standing in the farming fields and looking at you in Spring when the fields are empty but just filled with water to prepare for rice transplanting. As Trang An Grottoes lie in an ecotourism area, it offers a good chance to encounter local birds flying over you and hear birds singing.
Passengers can be able to explore the Bai Dinh Temple on the land during the boat tour. The temple is in worship of two local heroes in the Dinh Dynasty (968 – 980).
Best time to visit the Trang An Grottoes
If you want to explore the grottoes for photography purposes, the best time to visit is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from April to November.
How to get to the Trang An Grottoes
Unfortunately, there is no bus to the area from Ninh Binh or Hanoi. Thus, the only option is to rent a vehicle to the area.
Additional Trang An Grottoes Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 07:00 – 16:00
- As at 24th October 2020, there are 3 routes for the boat tour to choose from.
- As at 24th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the grottoes (including the ticket to one boat tour) is 200,000 VND per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- Please take sunglasses, an umbrella and wear sunscreen cream to protect you from the sun.
- Please take enough food and drinking water with you on the boat.
Interested in visiting the Trang An Grottoes on a Tour?