Last Update: 9th October 2020
Lying around 85 kilometers west of West Lake in Hangzhou, Tianmu Mountain is a paradise for adventure enthusiasts and photographers. It is endowed with breathtaking views around the year. In four seasons, it has different appearances.
- Chinese Name: Tianmushan (天目山)
- Area: 4,284 hectares
- Things to do there: Photography, Adventure, Hiking, Nature
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Nature Lovers
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
Tianmu Mountain is home to 400 big trees. Only 3 persons can hug one tree. Pseudolarix there is the highest one compared to its kind in other places around China. The tallest one on the mountain is more than 60 meters tall. There are many endemic tree species on Tianmu Mountain. 85 species of animals and plants are named after Tianmu. Only 5 Tianmu hophornbeam stand there.
In addition, Tianmu Mountain is home to 37 species of national rare and protected animals, including clouded leopard, tufted deer, Elliot’ s pheasant, Luehdorfia chinensis and the like and more than 140 species of birds among which Red-billed Leiothrix is the best-known. You can also find many endemic birds there.
Because of the prime location, it is cool in summer and not cold in winter on the mountain. East Tianmu Mountain offers the amazing natural views to appreciate, such as valleys, clouds, forests, waterfalls, etc. West Tianmu Mountain has several old Buddhist temples to explore. Between late October and late November, the mountain is covered with colorful leaves, making for gorgeous pictures for eyes. In spring, wild flowers are in blossom. In summer, it is a great resort.
If you’d like to visit the mountain for photography purposes, the best time to visit is at sunrise and at sunset.
The best months to visit are from April to November.
Unfortunately, there is no direct bus to the mountain from Hangzhou. The only option is to rent a vehicle.
- Opening hours: 08:00 – 16:00
- As at 9th October 2020, the entrance ticket for the West Tianmu Mountain and the Chanyuan Temple (excluding the shuttle bus in the area) is 136 CNY per person; children between 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) and 1.5m tall (1.5m tall not included) are charged 70 CNY per person; the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) charged 70 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) is free of charge.
- The entrance pricing to the round-trip shuttle bus is 40 CNY per person.
- For the latest pricing, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please wear comfortable hiking shoes with you.
- Please take enough drinking water with you if you are planning to enjoy hiking.