Thung Nang and Thung Nham Bird Park – paradise in Vietnam for bird-watchers
Last Update: 24th October 2020
Located around 12 kilometers east of Ninh Binh, Thung Nang and Thung Nham Bird Park is adjacent to Tam Coc. The park lies in the area of Trang An Scenic Area. It is a combination of tropical forests with old trees and wild animals, caves, and a bird garden.
- Name: Thung Nang and Thung Nham Bird Park
- Area: 334 x hectares
- Things to do there: Adventure, Photography, Wild Animals, Hiking, Boating, Bird Watching, Cycling
- Who visits: Photographers, Bird-Watchers
- Time required: 2 – 3 x Hours
Home to some 40 species of birds, Thung Nang and Thung Nham Bird Park features egrets and storks to appreciate, especially at sunrise and sunset. The park is less touristy so it will be a great spot for getting away from the bustling and hustling city life.
Mermaid Cave, also known as Tien Ca Cave, is one of the highlights in the park. With a length of about 1,500 meters, it offers amazing stalactites with different shapes to enjoy. The wooden or bamboo trails are built above the underground waters in the cave. Walking on it and admiring the stalactites above the head can be unforgettable experience.
Buddha Cave is around 500 meters long. It lies in the heart of the park. The highlight in the cave is a stalactite with a height of 1.5 meters and a width of 2 meters in the center. The stalactite looks like a Buddha. Visitors can explore the cave on a boat.
The bird garden is a must-visit spot in the park. If lucky enough, you may be able to see tens of white storks standing in the tree in the water or near the water. The best time for bird watching is at sunset or sunrise. During the period of time, there is a great chance to see hundreds of birds in the garden, especially in the autumn.
If you’d like to, you can also explore the Moving Banyan Tree, Vai Gioi Cave, and Thuy Cung Cave in the park.
If you want to enjoy bird-watching, the best time to visit is at sunrise or sunset.
The best months to visit for bird-watching are from September to November.
First, you need to get to Tam Coc wharf which is 3 kilometers from the entrance to Chua Cave where you need to take a boat to Thung Nham.
Unfortunately, there is no bus to Tam Coc from Ninh Binh or Hanoi. Thus, the only option is to rent a vehicle to the area.
- Opening hours: 07:00 am – 18:00
- As at 20th October 2019, the entrance ticket to the park is 100,000 VND per person; children between 0.8 meters tall (0.8 meters tall included) and 1.3 meters tall (1.3 meters tall not included) are charged 50,000 VND per person; children under 0.8 meters tall (0.8 meters tall not included) are free of charge.
- The entrance ticket to the boat tour is 20,000 VND per person.
- The entrance ticket to the but the Cave is 20,000 per person.
- For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please take enough food and drinking water with you.
- Please bring sunglasses and wear sunscreen cream.