Thanh Toan Bridge – the sister bridge of Hoi An’s famous Japanese Covered Bridge
Last Update: 24th October 2020
Originally built in 1776, Thanh Toan Bridge spans over a canal in Thuy Thanh Village, around 7 kilometers from Hue City. The wooden covered bridge was built with the domination of a childless lady in 1776. Its roof is decorated with exquisite patterns. The bridge connects the village with the outside world for more than 200 years.
Thanh Toan Bridge Fast Facts
- Name: Thanh Toan Bridge
- History: built in 1776
- Things to do there: Architecture, History and Culture, Photography
- Who visits: Photographers, History and Culture Lovers, Architects
- Time required: 30 x Minutes
What to expect at the Thanh Toan Bridge
Thanh Toan Bridge has been playing an important role in the local life of the Thuy Thanh Village. It makes it much easier for the villagers to communicate with the outside world. Also, it is more convenient for tourists to visit the village and enjoy the natural beauty there.
In summer, some locals may have a sleep in the covered village or just sit there to cool themselves. Cross the bridge, and you may encounter locals walking on the road or just enjoying sunbath in front of their house. The village is not crowded with tourists. If interested, you could explore the small village at your own pace.
Best time to visit the Thanh Toan Bridge
If you’d like to pay a visit to the bridge as well as the Thuy Thanh Village, the best time to visit is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
How to get to the Thanh Toan Bridge
Unfortunately, there is no direct bus to the bridge from Hue. You could rent a vehicle to the bridge. If you love cycling, the best way is to rent a bike to explore it with the village across the small canal.
Additional Thanh Toan Bridge Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- As at 24th October 2020, tourists can visit the bridge for free.
- If you’d like to take photos of locals, please get the permission from them first.
- Please take enough food and drinking water with you if you are planning to ride a bicycle to the bridge and explore the village.
Interested in visiting the Thanh Toan Bridge on a Tour?