Last Update: 15th October 2020
Standing on the Gulangyu Island in Xiamen, Sunlight Rock overlooks the island. At the viewpoint, you can appreciate the panoramic views of the entire island. In addition, the area also has an old temple to visit.
- Chinese Name: Riguangyan (日光岩)
- Area: 40 x meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Nature, Sea Views
- Who visits: Photographers, Nature Lovers
- Time required: 1 x hour
Sunlight Rock is dotted with many stone carvings. At the east side of Sunlight Rock are old carvings of Chinese characters. The characters of “鼓浪洞天” were made in 1573. They are the oldest on the island. Each is around 1.2 meters tall and 1 meters wide.
The characters of “龙头山” are carved on the rocks behind the Lotus Nunnery. The 2.4-meters-tall and 1.5-meters-wide characters were created in 1919. You’ll also find the huge characters of “九夏生寒” on the huge rock behind the nunnery.
On the wall of the huge rock at the top of the Sunlight Rock, the characters of “与日争光” witnesses the island for more than 80 years. On the wall of the rock facing the west at the highest point of the Sunlight Rock are the characters of “光复台”. “光复” means “Recover the lost territory” in English.
In addition, the Sunlight Rock is popular among celebrities. Therefore, you can also see poems by them carved on the rock, including Cai Tingkai (1892 – 1968), and Cai Yuanpei (1868 – 1940).
Lujiang Dragon Cave is located in the huge rock behind the Lotus Nunnery as well. Xiamen was formerly called Lujiang. The strait between Xiamen Island and Gulangyu Island was called Lujiang. A local legend tells that the cave is the habitat of the flood dragon.
If you’d like to visit the rock for photography purposes, the best time to visit is at sunrise and sunset. Apart from, it is not crowded at that time.
The best months to visit are from March to November.
As the rock lies on Gulangyu Island, you’d need to get to the Island first. The only option is to take a ferry to the island from Xiagu Wharf. Then, you can walk to the rock or take a cable car to the rock from the bottom.
- Opening hours: 05:30 – 20:30
- As at 15th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the fort is 50 CNY per person; children between 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) and 1.4m tall (1.4m tall not included) are charged 25 CNY per person; the elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 69 years old (69 years old included) are charged 25 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) and the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- Please wear sunscreen cream and sunglasses.
- Please wear comfortable hiking shoes.