St John Gospel Church - the oldest church in Kunming
Last Update: 19th October 2020
Located at No. 96, West Dongfeng Road, Kunming, St John Gospel Church is the oldest church in Kunming. The church is a traditional Christian church in the style of the Reformation. It has a rectangular auditorium layout in the north-south direction without colonnades. There are arched windows on the wall.
- Chinese Name: Yunnan Shengyuehan Fuyintang (昆明圣约翰福音堂)
- Location: No. 96, West Dongfeng Road, Kunming
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture, Christianity
- Who visits: Photographers, Architects, Christians
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
In the style of Gothic, St John Gospel Church is gorgeous. Christians gather at the church to worship on the weekend. The church can accommodate around 100 persons at one time. The building where the church is in features a market on the ground floor and dwellings from the fifth floor to the top. The church is located in the middle floors between the market and the dwellings.
If you want to experience the atmosphere of worshiping at the church, it is recommended that you visit it at the following time: 09:00 – 10:30 and 14:00 – 15:30 on Sundays. The Christians also hold other activities at the following time of 14:00 – 16:00 and 19:30 – 21:00 on Tuesdays, 14:00 – 16:00 on Wednesdays, 19:30 – 21:00 on Thursdays and 09:00 – 10:30 and 14:00 – 15:30 on Saturday.
If interested, you could explore the Bird and Flower Market behind the church.
The best time to visit the church is in the morning. Please check for latest service times.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
As St John Gospel Church lies close to Golden Horse and Jade Rooster Archway, you could take a bus to the archway first and then walk to the church. Therefore, there are a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the church. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 3, 4, 62, 90, 98, 213, a1 and Bus k12 to the Stop of Jinmafang (金马坊站).
- Opening hours: 08:00 – 18:00
- As at 19th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the church is free of charge.
- Please keep quiet at the church.