Small Three Gorges - off-the-beaten track scenic area near the Leshan Big Buddha
Last Update: 7th October 2020
What are the Small Three Gorges?
Known as the Jiazhou Small Three Gorges (嘉州小三峡), Pingqiang Small Three Gorges is located at the border of Shizhng District (中区) of Leshan City, Sichuan Province and Qingshen County (青神县) of Meishan City (眉山市). It offers stunning seasonal appearance to visitors. In spring, visitors will be amazed at rape flowers in the fields along the river in the gorges.
Small Three Gorges Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Pingqiang Xiaosanxia (平羌小三峡)
- Length: approx.12 x kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Sunset, Hiking, Boating
- Who visits: Photographers, Nature Lovers, Adventure Enthusiasts
- Time required: 3 – 4 x hours
Interested in visiting the Small Three Gorges on a Chengdu Tour?
What to expect at the Small Three Gorges
Situated 25 kilometers east of Leshan Big Buddha, Pingqiang Small Three Gorges is composed of Litou Gorge (犁头峡)Pingqiang Gorge (平羌峡), and Bei’e Gorge (背峨峡) along the Pingqiang River (平羌江). Visitors can explore more than ten cave tombs on the Qigong Mountain (七拱山) on the east bank outside the narrows on foot. The tombs are the sleeping places for the ancient Liao people (僚人) through the Southern Dynasties (420 – 589) to the Sui (581 – 618) and Tang (618 – 907) Dynasties.
On a local small wooden boat, visitors can enjoy the breathtaking landscape, discover the Rock of Avalokiteshvara, the uncompleted statue of the Pingqiang Bid Buddha and the 18 Arhats Mountain (十八罗汉山) offering stones standing out from the precipice on the cliff. These stones looks like Arhats.
If lucky enough, you will see local farmers do farming activities in the fields along the river. In spring, rape flowers along the river make a beautiful world there. Several fishers use a traditional bamboo fishing bucket to catch fishes on a boat. They want to maintain the natural balance through this type of fishing. Some sheep are eating grass on the hillside of a mountain.
Best time to visit the Small Three Gorges
If you are planning to visit Pingqiang Small Three Gorges for photography purposes, the best time to visit is during the sunset.
The best months to visit are from March to May and from September to October.
How to get to the Small Three Gorges
Pingqiang Small Three Georges is located in Leshan Countryside. Therefore, there are only a few options.
- Rent a vehicle from Chengdu or Leshan. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a direct bus from the Leshan Lianyun Bus Station (乐山联运车站) to the Pingqiang Three Gorges.
Additional Small Three Gorges Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- Admission fee: free
- There are only a few direct buses from Leshan Lianyun Bus Station. Please get to the gorges early.
- The boats always stop cruising from 17:00pm.
- Please take care of your camera and your cellphone when enjoying boating.
Interested in visiting the Small Three Gorges on a Tour?