Last Update: 8th October 2020
What is the Simatai Great Wall of China ?
Originally built along the steep ridge at the beginning of the Ming Dynasty (1368 – 1644), Great Wall of China (Simatai) is located around 120 kilometers northeast of Beijing.
Steep, dangerous, and unique, the Great Wall of China (Simatai) is divided into the west section and the east section by Simatai Reservoir.
- Chinese Name: Simatai Changcheng (司马台长城)
- Number of Shows Daily: 5.4 x kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture, Chinese Culture and History, Hiking
- Who visits: Photographers, Chinese Culture and History Lovers, Adventure Enthusiasts
- Time required: 3 – 4 x Hours
The east section of Great Wall of China (Simatai) offers 16 watchtowers and the west one has 18 watchtowers. So far, only 10 watchtowers are open to the public in the east section, that is to say, No. 1 to No. 10 watchtowers in the east section are open to the public.
With 2 holes, 3 holes, 4 holes, the watchtowers are two-storeyed and three storeyed with different shapes, such as circle, flat shape, and the like. The highest point of the Great Wall of China (Simatai) is the Fairy Tower.
If you are planning to visit Great Wall of China (Simatai) for photography purposes, the best time to visit is in the evening by its closed time.
The best months to visit are from March to June and from September to November.
- Rent a vehicle from Beijing. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 980 at Dongzhimen to the Stop of Miyuan West Bridge (密云西大桥站) first. Then, take Bus 51 to the Great Wall
- Opening hours: 08:00 – 20:00; 08:00 – 17:00 (opening hours for the entrance for daytime); 17:30 – 20:00 (opening hours for the entrance for evening)
- As at 8th October 2020, the combo ticket for the Great Wall of China (Simatai) and Gubei Water Town is 170 CNY per person; children between 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) and 1.5m tall (1.5m tall not included) are charged 85 CNY per person; the elder above 60 years old (60 years old included) are charged 85 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please book the ticket one day prior to the visit date at least at the official website (http://www.wtown.com/index.php/Yuyue/great_wall_reservation) with your passports details.
- The hours for booking the ticket are 09:30 – 10:00, 11:30 – 12:00 and 13:30 – 14:00.
- During every entrance, only 1,200 visitors are allowed to enter the scenic area for safety of the visitors.
- Visitors can enter the scenic area at 10:00, 12:00 and 14:00. At any other time, visitors are not allowed to enter it.
- Great Wall of China (Simatai) is very steep that please take care of yourself when climbing it.