Shanghai Zoo - the second largest urban Zoo in China
Last Update: 8th October 2020
Located at No. 2381, Hongqiao Road, Changning District, Shanghai Zoo is the second largest city zoo in China. It is home to more than 400 species of rare wild animals, including the indigenous animals, such as giant pandas, Golden monkey, South China tiger, and Chinese alligators. You also can find the representative animals from around the world such as gorillas, African lions, giraffes, kangaroos, and South American tapirs.
- Chinese Name: Shanghai Dongwuyuan(上海动物园)
- Area: 74.3 x hectares
- Things to do there: Photography, Hiking, Animals
- Who visits: Photographers, Nature Lovers, Hikers
- Time required: 3 – 5 x Hours
What to expect at Shanghai Zoo
Shanghai Zoo is located 3 kilometers from Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport. You can see Bengal tiger, Jaguars, and leopards at the beast park. You will find cute squirrel monkeys, alpaca, deer, giant pandas, red pandas, red-crowned crane, flamingos, little Egret, nightingale, Magpie, gray magpie and other wild birds.
You also can find the lovely penguins at penguin pool, polar bears, and Brazilian wolves. At the walk-in bird park, you can take a close look at egret, cattle egret, Scarlet Ibis, jungle fowl and other species of birds. Peacocks show their beautiful tails to you and you can feed them at a close distance.
If interested, you can explore the Butterfly Pavilion with more than 1,000 specimens, including five species of butterflies protected by the state and 400 other precious butterflies. When you are tired, you can sit down on the great lawn which dates to the 1910s. With an area of nearly 10 hectares, the lawn was originally a golf course then. Nowadays, the layout of the course is still well-preserved there.
Best time to visit Shanghai Zoo
The best time to visit Shanghai Zoo is in the morning as the animals are always active in the morning.
The best months to visit the zoo are from March to October.
How to get to Shanghai Zoo
There are several buses passing by the zoo. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the museum. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 57, 48, 91, 519, 709, 739, 748, 806, 807, 809, 925, 936, 938, and Bus 945 to the Stop of Shanghai Zoo (上海动物园).
- Take Metro Line 10 to the Stop of Shanghai Zoo (上海动物园).
Additional Shanghai Zoo Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 07:30 – 17:00 (March – October); 07:30 – 16:30 (November – February); the tickets are not issued 30 minutes prior to the closing time.
- As at 8th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the zoo is 40 CNY per person; the elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 65 years old (65 years old included) are charged 35 CNY per person; the elder above 65 years old (65 years old not included) and the children udder 1.3m tall (1.3m tall not included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- Spring and autumn are the best time to visit the park. It is recommended that you enter the park early in the morning, as most of the animals will be active in the morning, and usually there will be more visitors in the afternoon than in the morning.
- Please take care of your kids at the park in case of any danger.