Shanghai World Expo Museum - unique Shanghai World Expo focused museum
Last Update: 8th October 2020
The Shanghai World Expo Museum is not only the first international museum in China, but also the unique museum in the world that fully displays the Expo theme. The architectural design theme of the museum is “Expo Memory” and “Urban Life”, which is interpreted by the “historical valley” representing history, meditation and eternity, and the “cloud of celebration” that represents the future, openness and reform.
Shanghai World Expo Museum Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Shanghai Shibohui Bowuguan(上海世博会博物馆)
- Area:4.6x hectares
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture, World Expo History
- Who visits: Photographers, World Expo History, Architecture Learners
- Time required: 2 – 3 x Hours
What to expect at the Shanghai World Expo Museum
Open to the public on May 1, 2017, Shanghai World Expo Museum offers an exhibition area of approximately 12,000 square meters and has 8 permanent exhibition halls and 3 temporary exhibition halls. You can explore the permanent exhibition halls – Hall 1 to Hall 4 which mainly reflect the development status and historical appearance of the World Expo between 1851 and 2008. The collections at Hall 5 to Hall 7 are focused around China’s 2010 Shanghai World Expo. Hall 8 mainly presents the exciting collections of the following World Expos after the 2010 Shanghai World Expo.
Digital technology such as information technology, multimedia technology, network technology is applied to achieve digital display of exhibits. The museum has more than 28,000 pieces of collection. According to the category, characteristics, texture and environmental requirements, the museum will build up special warehouses and make collection protection measures to collect and protect all kinds of precious cultural relics and collections related to the Expo.
In addition, you will find various materials on the world expo, such as newspapers, books and electronic audiovisual products at the museum.
The best time to visit the museum is in the morning except the public holidays and the weekend.
There are several buses passing by Shanghai World Expo Museum. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the museum. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 18 to the Stop of Longhua East Road and Mengzi Road (龙华东路蒙自路站).
- Take Bus 144, 45, 780, 869, 96, 780 and Bus 253 to the Stop of Zhongshan South First Road and Luban Road (中山南一路鲁班路站).
- Take Metro Line 13 to the Stop of World Expo Museum (世博会博物馆站).
- Opening hours: 09:00 – 17:00 (Tuesday – Sunday, visitors are not allowed to enter the museum from 16:15).
- As at 8th October 2020, the admission fee for the museum is free; the admission to the special effects film – “World Expo Wonderful Travel” is 30 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- It is not recommended that children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) to watch the special effects film.
- Please keep quiet at the museum.
- Please present your passport at the gate to get the free ticket.
Interested in visiting the Shanghai World Expo Museum on a Tour?