Shanghai Qibao Town - historical town with a long history in Shanghai
Last Update: 8th October 2020
Located 5 kilometers from the heart of Shanghai, Qibao Town was originally built in the Northern Dynasty (960 – 1127). It is a historical ancient town with both natural scenery and long-term humanistic connotations.
- Chinese Name: Shanghai Qibao Guzhen (上海七宝古镇)
- Area: 21.3 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Shopping, Jewelry
- Who visits: Photographers, Shopping Lovers
- Time required: 3 – 5 x Hours
Interested in visiting Shanghai Qibao Town during a Shanghai Tour?
What to expect at Shanghai Qibao Town
Shanghai Qibao Town features the famed 360-meter-long Old Street. On the street, you can find the well-preserved old buildings plus a variety of local delicious cuisine. The street is divided into the north street and the south street. Shops on the south street offer you various types of snacks to try. You can pick your favourite handicrafts, antiques, calligraphy, Chinese painting and other articles.
At the town, you can explore the cotton weaving workshop to know the weaving skills in the ancient China. In addition, you will enjoy the traditional Chinese wedding in the ancient times. If interested, you also can participate in simulated wedding events. At Zhou’s Micro-carving Museum, you can admire the stone carvings and graphic materials on Dream of the Red Chamber, exhibitions on tea culture, stone culture, and micro-carvings.
The town reproduces the prosperity of the traditional industries with street scenes, objects, and wax figures. Blacksmiths, bamboo craftsmen, silversmiths, tofu workshop and other craftsmen present the traditional Chinese industries to you. You will see the old pawnshops in the same order as the original one. In addition, you can appreciate the shadow play at the shadow play hall.
Shanghai Qibao Town is also ideal for your stomach.
Best time to visit Shanghai Qibao Town
The best time to visit Shanghai Qibao Town is in the morning during the opening hours as it always takes 4 – 5 hours to visit it.
The best months to visit it are from March to November.
How to get to Shanghai Qibao Town
There are a few buses passing by the town. Therefore, there are a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the museum. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 91, 92, 753 and Bus 763 to the Stop of Qibao (七宝站).
- Take Metro Line 9 to the Stop of Qibao (七宝站).
Additional Shanghai Qibao Town Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 09:00 – 18:00
- Admission fee: free
- It is not suggested to visit the town on weekends or during the holidays.
- Please take care of your children and your valuables when exploring the town.