Shanghai Fairmont Hotel - Shanghai’s famous Peace hotel on The Bund
Last Update: 7th October 2020
Located at No. 20 Nanjing East Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai, Shanghai Fairmont Hotel is a landmark building in Shanghai. It is the first modernist building in the history of Shanghai’s modern architecture. It features the distinctive suites with nine-country styles and many unique restaurants, ballrooms, multi-purpose hall, bars, rooftop sightseeing garden, etc.
- Chinese Name: Shanghai Heping Fandian (上海和平饭店)
- History: Opened in 1908
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture, Accommodation, Food
- Who visits: Photographers, Travelers, Foodies Architecture Learners
- Time required: 1 – 2 x Hours
Interested in visiting the Shanghai Fairmont Hotel during a Shanghai Tour?
Originally built in 1908, the South Building of Shanghai Farimont Hotel was named Huizhong Hotel then. It is characterized by Renaissance styles.
Originally built in 1929, the North Building of Shanghai Fairmont Hotel was then known as the Huamao Hotel. With a height of 77 meters, the 12-storey building is a Gothic building of Chicago school.
Peace Hall is typical of Baroque palace style. Jazz Bar, a typical English country pub, is known for its performances by the elders. The average age of the six musicians in the band is over 75 years old. The elder Jazz band has been a set project at the hotel since the 1980s. From 20:00 to 2:00 am every night, you can not only taste the Italian wine, Irish coffee and unique cocktails, but also the jazz pop songs of the 30s and 40s played by the old band at this exotic British country pub.
Sassoon House, the former private suite of the hotel’s builder – British Jewish, Alice Victor Sassoon, is now the grand ballroom at the hotel. You will experience the luxury of the classical western court at the ballroom.
Shanghai Fairmont Hotel features 380 well-equipped rooms including suites with different styles, such Chinese, British, American, Japanese, French, Italian, Spanish, Indian and German to meet different needs. It offers 18 Chinese and Western restaurants. You can enjoy Shanghai cuisine, Cantonese cuisine, and Sichuan cuisine. In addition, you can take a bite of a variety of Chinese and Western refreshments, as well as unique afternoon tea at Jasmine Bar.
Best time to visit the Shanghai Fairmont Hotel
If you are planning to visit the facade of Shanghai Fairmont Hotel for photography purposes, the best time to visit it is in the evening.
How to get to the Shanghai Fairmont Hotel
There are several buses passing by the hotel. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the hotel. This is the quickest and most direct option.\
- Take Bus 33, 37, 55, 65, 305, 307, 317 and Bus 330 to the Stop of Zhongshan Dongyilu Nanjing Donglu (中山东一路南京东路). Then, walk to the hotel.
- Take Bus 868 to the Stop of Zhongshan Dongyilu Beijing Donglu (中山东一路北京东路). Then, walk to the hotel.
- Take Bus 20 to the Stop of Jiujianglu Zhongshan Dongyilu (九江路中山东一路). Then, walk to the hotel.
Additional Shanghai Fairmont Hotel Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- The earliest check-in time is 14:00pm and the latest check-out time is 12:00pm.
- You can appreciate the panoramic views of the Bund at the terrace bar on the 8th floor.
- You can visit the hotel museum during its opening hours and the hotel offers the free interpretation service. Please book the service beforehand.
- You can enjoy the afternoon tea between 14:00pm and 16:00pm and the cocktail party between 17:30pm and 19:30pm on the 8th floor.
- The restaurant on the 8th floor offers the Western breakfast while the restaurant on the ground floor offers the Chinese breakfast.
- The space of the hotel parking lot is limited.
- The area near the hotel is car restricted area.
Interested in visiting the Shanghai Fairmont Hotel on a Tour?