Shanghai Facts – various facts about Shanghai
Last Update: 16th November 2019
Facts about Shanghai
Situated in East China, Shanghai is one of the national historical and cultural cities in China. It has been playing a vital role in the development of China’s economy and history since the late Qing Dynasty (1644 – 1912). Let’s see the significant Shanghai facts.
- Shanghai is the birthplace of the Communist Party of China.
- In modern China, Shanghai was the largest industrial city in China.
- Shanghai is the cradle of China’s modern industry and Chinese working class.
- Shanghai is China’s economic, financial, trade, shipping, science and technology innovation center.
- Shanghai is the headquarter of major foreign banks in China.
- Shanghai is located at the estuary of Yangtze River.
- More than 400 types of vegetables are cultivated in Shanghai, which ranks No. 1 around China.
- As at 3rd July 2019, Shanghai has set up trading relationship with more than 200 countries and regions.
- The total import and export volume of Shanghai Port ranks the first of its kind across the world.
- Container throughput of Shanghai Port has remained No. 1 in the world for 8 consecutive years.
- Shanghai has become the world’s 4th largest while the Asia’s largest cruise homeport.
- By the end of 2018, up to 182 countries and regions have invested in Shanghai.
- Shanghai is one of the two Alpha+ cities in China in the Global City Classification.
- Shanghai is one of the largest hubs in China, offering 35 passenger bus stations with 1,611 long-distance lines to 660 places in 14 provinces around the country.
- The number of public buses in Shanghai is more than 1,000.
- It offers two international airports – Shanghai Pudong International Airport and Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport.
- The film was introduced to China from Shanghai.
- Shanghai is home to Asian-Pacific headquarter of IMAX.
- Shenbao Newspaper was the oldest and lived for the longest in modern China.
- Shanghai TV Festival is the earliest international TV festival in China.
- Shanghai offers food from all over the country.
- In 2017, Shanghai was declared one of “the Top 200 World Charm Cities in 2017”.
- In 2018, Shanghai ranked the 6th world first-tier city in the list of 2018 Global Cities by GaWC.
Reed Flute Cave