Shadao Gully - offering a tranquil hiking trail in Wulingyuan!
What is Shadao Gully?
Set in Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, Shadao Gully is home to old trees and vines with strange stones and peaks around. It is a “u”-shaped deep valley, and the east of the gully stand Qianli Xianghui Peaks by Golden Whip Stream and the west is Purple Grass Pond by Golden Whip Stream as well.
- Chinese Name: Shadaogou (砂刀沟)
- Length: 5 x kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, hiking
- Who visits: Photographers, Hikers, Adventure enthusiasts!
- Time required: 1.5 – 2 x Hours
Visitors can also explore the 130-meters-tall Monkey Cave Waterfall – the highest waterfall in Wulingyuan, White Dragon Pond with blue-black water, and West Heaven Gate – one of the five heaven gate in Zhangjiajie, which is situated in the middle of one peak in the gully
Best time to visit Shadao Gully
How to get to Shadao Gully
Visitors can walk through Golden Whip Stream and turn left from Purple Grass Pond. Therefore, visitors shall know how to get to Golden Whip Stream. After entering the National Forest Park Ticket Station, visitors walk ahead for 300 meters. They will see the entrance to Golden Whip Stream. There are several options on how to get to National Forest Park Ticket Station.
- Rent a car from Zhangjiajie airport, Zhangjiajie Train Station or Zhangjiajie Bus Station to the National Forest Ticket Station. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a flight to Zhangjiajie airport from Guilin, Beijing, Chengdu, Wuhan, Xi’an and other cities. Then, rent a car to Zhangjiejie Train Station to take the shuttle bus. It takes 40 minutes drive from the station to National Forest Park Ticket Station. Alternatively, rent a car to the ticket station.
- Take a train to Zhangjiajie train station from Guangzhou, Nanning, Shenzhen, Wuchang and other cities. Then, walk to the Zhangjiajie Bus Station to take the tourists bus. It takes 40 minutes drive from the station to National Forest Park Ticket Station. Alternatively, rent a car to the ticket station.
Additional Shadao Gully Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 07:00 – 18:00
- As Shadao Gully is located in Zhangjiajie National Forest Park which is part of Wulingyuan Scenic Area, visitors can enter the the park from National Forest Park Ticket Station with the pass ticket for Wulingyuan Scenic Area. The pass ticket is valid in four days from the date when you get it ( For example, if the ticket is issued at 13:00 on Monday 9th July, 2018, the ticket is valid by 13:00 on Friday 13th July, 2018). You could take a complimentary eco-friendly car with the pass ticket. With the pass ticket, you can visit all the four scenic areas mentioned above and can enter the Wulingyuan from one of five entrances at the five ticket stations.
- As at 6th October 2020, admission fee which is applied between March 1st and November 30th plus the Spring Festival is as follows. Admission fee to Wulingyuan Area is 248 CNY per adult (including the insurance); Children under 1.3m (1.3m not included) and the elders above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge whilst these people are charged 68 CNY per person for the eco-friendly car(including insurance); Children between 1.3m (1.3m included) and 1.5m (1.5m not included) are charged 163 CNY per person(including insurance); The elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 70 years old ( 70 years old not included) are charged 168 CNY per person (including insurance)
- As at 6th October 2020, admission fee which is applied between December 1st and February 28th/29th is as follows. Admission fee to Wulingyuan Area is 126 CNY per adult (including the insurance). Notes: The area can be closed because of the snow in winter.
- For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- Be sure not to explore Shadao Gully by yourself as the trail is covered with green moss. If you don’t pay attention to the trail for a second, it is possible for you to fall down. In case of emergency, your partners can help you out.
- It is recommended that you take an umbrella with you when visiting the Wulingyuan Scenic Area in Zhangjiajie.
- If you plan to visit the area in summer, you’d better take the sunscreen, floral water, sunglasses, band-aid and hats. Please remember to wear antiskid hiking shoes.
- During the National Day Festival of China, Spring Festival and the summer holiday, pricing for hotels and restaurants also goes up as they are the peak season in China.
- The ticket offices of most scenic spots offer luggage storage service.
- Be sure not to explore the areas marked with “No Passing” and “Dangerous” .
- The mountain road is wet and slippery in rainy days. In addition, rain and fog can also lead to unclear sight. Thus, it is not suggested that you risk climbing the mountain in the rain.