Shaanxi History Museum - Museum featuring historical Chinese culture
Last Update: 9th October 2020
What is the Shaanxi History Museum?
As the first large modern state-level museum in China, Shaanxi History Museum has more than 171 million pieces from the simple stoneware used in the initial stage of remote antiquity to various items in social life before 1840.
Shaanxi History Museum Fast Facts
Interested in visiting the Shaanxi History Museum during a Xian Tour?
What to expect at the Shaanxi History Museum
Opened on June 20, 1991, the Shaanxi History Museum is located at No. 91, Xiaozhai East Road, Yanta District on the northwest side of the Big Wild Goose Pagoda . The exhibition of Shaanxi History Museum is mainly divided into three parts: basic exhibition, special exhibition and temporary display.
The basic exhibition demonstrate the ancient history of Shaanxi. In the order of the times, it divides the ancient history of Shaanxi into seven parts: prehistoric era, Zhou, Qin, Han, Southern and Northern Dynasties, Sui, Tang, Song, Yuan, Ming and Qing Dynasties. Some 2,000 pieces of cultural relics in the basic exhibition hall systematically demonstrate the development process of Shaanxi from the Lantian people in the early Paleolithic era to the Opium War.
The Shaanxi History Museum offers the Mural Treasures Gallery of the Tang Dynasty (唐代壁画珍品馆0 where around 600 murals from more than 20 mausoleums in the Tang Dynasty are on display. The collections in the museum are composed of around 4,000 bronze ware, murals in the Tang Dynasty, over 2,000 terracotta figurines through Qin Dynasty to Qing Dynasty, more than 5,000 pieces of porcelain, more than 2,000 pieces of gold, silver and jade ware and more than 60,000 coins. In addition, there are ancient Chinese paintings, Buddist scripture, bone objects, iron ware and the like in the ancient China in the museum.
Best time to visit the Shaanxi History Museum
Visitors can visit Shaanxi History Museum all time during its opening hours.
How to get to the Shaanxi History Museum
Shaanxi History Museum is situated in downtown Xi’an. Therefore, there are some options.
- Rent a vehicle to the museum. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 5, 19, 24, 26, 27, 30, 34, 402, 521, 527, 610, 701, 710 and Tourist Bus 6 and 8 to the Stop of Cuihua Road (翠华路站).
- Take Metro Line 2 and Line 3 to the museum.
Additional Shaanxi History Museum Travel Advice
- Opening hours: November 15 - March 15: 09:00 - 17:30 ( the tickets are not issued at 16:00); March 16 - November 14: 08:30 - 18:00 ( the tickets are not issued at 16:30)
- As at 9th October 2020, visitors can visit the museum for free. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The museum is open to the public from Tuesday to Sunday.
- The museum is closed on Monday but is open on Mondays which are public holidays in China.
- Visitors are required to visit the galleries except Legacy Exhibition of the Tang Dynasty (大唐遗宝展) and the Mural Treasures Gallery of the Tang Dynasty with the tickets. Please show your passports to the ticket office to get the ticket.
- As at 9th October 2020, admission fee to Legacy Exhibition of the Tang Dynasty is 30 CNY per person; admission fee to the Mural Treasures Gallery of the Tang Dynasty is 300 CNY per person.
- The museum always issue 6,000 tickets in total in one day - 3,000 tickets for the morning (09:00 - 12:00) and another 3,000 tickets for the afternoon (12:30 - 16:00).
- The rental for the self-service audio guide offering English, Japanese, French, and Korean interpretation is 30 CNY per person. The deposit is 100 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- The fee for the English interpretation service for the basic exhibition is 150 CNY; the fee for the English interpretation service for Legacy Exhibition of the Tang Dynasty is 100 CNY; the fee for the English interpretation service for the Mural Treasures Gallery of the Tang Dynasty is 100 CNY. One interpreter serve 10 visitors at most.
- The tourist center at the west of the main hall offers the rental service for prams and wheelchairs.