Qinhuai River - tributary river of the Yangtze River
With a length of 110 kilometers, Qinhuai River flows through Nanjing City. It is the largest regional river in the city. It has been playing a significant role in the history, culture, shipping and irrigation of the city for long.
- Chinese Name: Qinhuaihe (秦淮河)
- Length: 110 kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, History and Culture, Cruise, Architecture, Hiking
- Who visits: Photographers, History and Culture Lovers, Architects
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
Buildings with the Qing Dynasty (1644 – 1912) style in the area along the Qinhuai River under colorful lights at night make for gorgeous background for photographing and they themselves are stunning photography materials. If interested, you can also experience the pleasure boat on the river at night. Night market there is also one of the highlights to enjoy. You can find local cuisine as well as many other types of food from all over China. The area is also home to Jiangnan Examination Hall which introduces the imperial examination system in the ancient China. During the Spring Festival, you can enjoy the exciting lantern show in the area.
Zhan Garden in the area is the oldest garden in Nanjing. It dates back to the Ming Dynasty (1368 – 1344). The garden with elegant and exquisite classical buildings is the only one prince palace opened to the public in Nanjing. It is also the spot where Taiping Heavenly Kingdom History Museum lies.
Best time to visit the Qinhuai River
If you’d like to visit the river for photography purposes, the best time to visit is at night.
The best months to visit are from March to October.
How to get to the Qinhuai River
Several buses pass by the section of the river where Nanjing Confucius Temple is located. Thus, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the temple. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 1, 4, 7, 30, 31, 40, 44, 49, 62, 166, 202, Y1, Y2 or Bus Y4 to the Stop of Fuzimiao (夫子庙站). Then walk to the temple.
- Take Metro Line 3 to the Stop of Fuzimiao (夫子庙站). Then walk to the temple.
Additional Qinhuai River Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 24 hours.
- As at 15th October 2020, tourists can explore the river for free.
- The entrance pricing to the night pleasure boat in the section of the river where Nanjing Confucius Temple is located is 80 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge; children between 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) and 1.5m tall (1.5m tall not included) are charged 40 CNY per person; one adult is just permitted to take one child under (1.2m tall not included); For the latest pricing, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- The entrance pricing to the day pleasure boat in the section of the river where Nanjing Confucius Temple is located is 60 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge; children between 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) and 1.5m tall (1.5m tall not included) are charged 30 CNY per person; one adult is just permitted to take one child under (1.2m tall not included); For the latest pricing, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The pleasure boat cruise lasts for around 50 minutes.
- One pleasure boat can accommodate 20 passengers.
- The opening hours for the day pleasure boat is from 09:00 to 17:30; it starts any time the boat is fully seated. If it can’t be fully seated, the boat runs every 30 minutes.
- The opening hours for the night pleasure boat is from 17:30 to 21:30; the boat runs every 20 minutes.
- Tourists are required to pay for the entrance tickets for some of the scenic spots in the area.