Qinghai Lake - the largest salt-water inland lake
Located in the northeastern part of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau and in Qinghai Province Qinghai Lake, Qinghai is formed by faults between Datong Mountain, Riyue Mountain and Qinghai Nanshan Mountain in the Qilian Mountains. Situated 136 kilometers from Xining, the lake is surrounded by mountains with a hill at the heart of the lake.
- Chinese Name: Qinghai Lake (青海湖)
- Area: 4,435.69 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Silk Road History, Adventure
- Who visits: Photographers, Learners of Islamic Studies, Hikers
- Time required: 3 – 4 x days
You can appreciate various types of dancing and music and dramas in Xining, such as the An Zhao Music and Dancing of the Tu ethnic nationality, the banquet dance of the Hui people, the wedding dance of the Salars, the Guozhuang dance of the Tibetans, and the temple music played by the Tibetan Buddhist monasteries during the sacrifices, ceremonies, and Dharma assemblies.
You can enjoy cycling or driving along the Qinghai Lake, visit Qinghai Province Museum to know the history and culture of Qinghai, and explore the Ruins of Qingtang City which was a commercial center in the ancient times along the Western Silk Road. If you are interested to get a little acquainted with Tibetan Medicine, it is recommended that you explore Museum of China Tibetan Medicine.
Best time to enjoy Qinghai Lake
The best time to visit Qinghai Lake is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from June to September.
How to get to Qinghai Lake
There are a few buses from Xining to Qinghai Lake. Therefore, there are only a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the lake from Xining. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a bus from Bayi Road Bus Station, Xining (西宁八一路客运站) to Er’langjian Bus Station of Qinghai Lake (青海湖二郎剑客运站).
- Take a bus from Bayi Road Bus Station, Xining (西宁八一路客运站) to Salt Island Bus Station of Qinghai Lake (青海湖沙岛客运站).
Additional Qinghai Lake Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- As at 16th October 2020, from October 16 to April 15, the entrance pricing to Qinghai Lake is 50 CNY per person, children between 1.2m tall and 1.4m tall are charged 25 CNY per person, the elder above 60 years old (60 years old included) are charged 25 CNY per person; from April 16 to October 15, the entrance pricing to Qinghai Lake is 100 CNY per person, children between 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) and 1.4m tall (1.4m tall not included) are charged 50 CNY per person, the elder above 60 years old (60 years old included) are charged 50 CNY per person. Children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge. The ticket for the lake is valid for 3 days (if you get the ticket at 13:00pm on 22nd November 2018, the ticket is valid by 13:00pm on 25th November 2018).
- The entrance pricing to the Bird Island is 70 CNY per person.
- The entrance pricing to the Salt Island is 115 CNY per person.
- The entrance pricing to Riyue Mountain is 25 CNY per person.
- The entrance pricing to the beach at the lake is 22 CNY per person.
- The entrance pricing to the boat on the lake is 45 CNY per person.
- The boat is not available from October 16 to April 15.
For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please respect the customs of the Tibetan people around the lake.
- Please take enough warm clothes even in summer as it is cold in the early morning and the late afternoon because of its high altitude.