What is Pingle Ancient Town?
Originally built in 250 BC, Pingle Ancient Town is situated 93 kilometers southwest of Chengdu and 18 kilometers from Qionglai. The town is famed for quaint neighborhoods and simple folk customs of the West Sichuan. With their own characteristics, The buildings there differ themselves from those in the other places in Sichuan.
- Chinese Name: Pingle Guzhen (平乐古镇)
- Area: 69.64 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Chinese Culture, Hiking
- Who visits: Photographers, Chinese Culture Lovers, Adventure Enthusiasts
- Time required: 4 – 5 x Hours
There are old temples to explore. The Buddha statue in the cliff carved in the Tang Dynasty (618 – 907) is situated in the existing Tianguan Temple (天官寺) on the Jinhua Mountain. Visitors can admire 30 bronze statues of Avalokiteshvara in Avalokiteshvara Temple (观音院) also built in the Tang Dynasty. Leshan Bridge built in 1861 is the largest stone arch one in Sichuan. You can explore the ruins of papermaking workshops in the old town. The distinctive workshops were built along the mountain. Numerous old trees are more than 1,000 years old. There is the ancient post road in the Qin (221 – 207 BC) and Han (202 BC – 220 AD) Dynasties, bamboo forests and the greens on the mountains to appreciate.
In addition, the town features a splendid folk culture. Many ancient customs have been well preserved in the town, such as Avalokiteshvara Temple Fair on the 19th of February in the lunar Chinese calendar, the Town God Temple Fair on the lunar 11th of March, the Temple Fair for Worshiping the Mountain God on the lunar 6th of June , and the River Lantern Fair of Qingming Festival.
If you are planning to visit Pingle Ancient Town for photography purposes, the best time to visit is during the sunrise or the sunset.
The best months to visit are from March to June and from September to November.
- Rent a vehicle from Chengdu. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a shuttle bus from the Bus Station of New South Gate in Chengdu
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- Admission fee: free
- The traffic is very busy during the public holidays in China.
- Facilities in some of the hotels in the town are not full-equipped.
- The pricing for the room of the hotels is much higher than that in Chengdu, especially during holidays.