National Stadium - the main stadium of the 2008 Beijing Olympics
Last Update: 18th November 2019
What is the National Stadium?
Located in the central area of Beijing Olympic Park, National Stadium (Bird’s Nest) is the site where the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, concerts, and track and field events were held. The main body of the National Stadium is a "Bird's Nest" shape woven from a series of steel trusses around the bowl-shaped seating area. The space structure is novel, the building and structure are seamless, unique and beautiful, with strong shock and visual impact.
National Stadium Fast Facts
Interested in visiting the National Stadium on a Beijing Tour?
Wendy Wei Tours offers a variety of different packaged tours as well as custom tours including the National Stadium, among other attractions and destinations. To find out more, please visit our Tours page or Contact Us directly to find out more.
What to expect at the National Stadium
The National Stadium can seat 91,000 persons. After the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, it becomes a large-scale professional site for Beijing citizens to participate in sports activities and enjoy sports and entertainment, and becomes a landmark sports architecture and Olympic heritage as well.
There are seven floors above the stadium base, with service facilities for audience, work area for media, VIP reception area and commercial area. There are 3 floors below the base with a zero-level internal loop, parking lot and a large number of functional rooms. The bowl-shaped stands are divided into the upper, middle and lower layers, and a box and a seating area are arranged between the upper and middle stands.
Best time to visit the National Stadium
If you are planning to visit National Stadium for photography purposes, the best time to visit is in the evening during its opening hours.
How to get to the National Stadium
There are several buses passing by the National Stadium. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the stadium. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 82, 419, 538, and Bus 645 to the Stop of National Stadium.
- Take Metro Line 15 and Line 8 to the Stop of Olympic Park.
Additional National Stadium Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 09:00 - 21:00
- As at 18th November 2019, the entrance pricing is 50 CNY per person; the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) and the children under 1.2m (1.2m not included) are free of charge; the elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 69 years old (69 years old included) are charged 25 CNY per person; entrance pricing to VIP tour is 80 CNY per person; entrance pricing to VIP tour and the shuttle bus is 90 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The stadium offers free interpretation service.
- The stadium offers currency exchange counter.
- The stadium has a medical station.