Nanshi Old Town - one of China’s four famous old towns
Last Update: 8th October 2020
With a history of 1,500 years, Nanshi Old Town features the largest garden in the regions south of the Yangtze River – Guyi Garden, Nanxiang Old Street, Liuyun Temple and Nanxiang Twin Pagodas, and so on. All these reflect the profound ancient culture of Shanghai.
Nanshi Old Town Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Nanxiang Guzhen (南翔古镇)
- History: over 1,500 years of history
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture, Shanghai History and Culture
- Who visits: Photographers, Architects, Science Lovers
- Time required: 5 – 6 x Hours
What to expect at Nanshi Old Town
The closet scenic spot to the Stop of Nanxiang of Metro Line 11 is Guyi Garden. In four seasons, different flowers are in blossom that different types of flowers exhibitions will be held at the garden. You can admire the Chinese flowering crab-apple in spring, lotus in summer, wintersweet and narcissus in winter. In the Spring Lantern Festival, the lantern show is held at the garden. If you get there in the morning, you will finish your tour at the garden at noon. You can try the famous Nanxiang steamed bun stuffed with pork at the Guyiyuan Restaurant.
You can explore the Liuyun Temple, Brick Pagoda at Nanxiang Temple, Nanxiang History and Culture Exhibition Hall, and Tan Garden – the private garden of the scholar in the Ming Dynasty – Li Liufang. At the town, you can enjoy much delicious local food.
Best time to visit Nanshi Old Town
If you are planning to visit Nanshi Old Town for photography purposes, the best time to visit is in the late afternoon when you can enjoy the amazing sunset and the night views.
The best months to visit are from March to November.
How to get to Nanshi Old Town
There are 2 buses passing by the old town. Therefore, there are only a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the tower. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 822 and Bus 562 to the town.
- Take Metro Line 11 to the Stop of Nanxiang (南翔站).
Additional Nanshi Old Town Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 08:30 – 17:00
- As at 8th October 2020, the entrance pricing to including Tan Garden and Nanxiang History and Culture Exhibition Hall is 46 CNY per person; the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) are charged 15 CNY per person; the elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 69 years old (69 years old included) are charged 35 CNY per person; children under 1.3m tall (1.3m tall included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- You can enjoy the tasty local food if interested.