Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge - oldest classical garden from the Ming Dynasty in Nanjing, China
Last Update: 15th October 2020
The Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge is China’s first double-deck road-rail truss bridge designed by China. The road on the upper deck is 4,589 meters long while the rail on the lower deck is 6,772 meters long. The rail was opened to traffic on September 30, 1968 and the road was opened to traffic on December 29, 1968.
Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Nanjing Changjiang Daqiao (南京长江大桥)
- Length of the Upper Deck: 4,589 meters
- Length of the Lower Deck: 6,772 meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture
- Who visits: Photographers, Architects
- Time required: 1 x hour
Interested in visiting the Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge on a Tour?
What to expect at the Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge
Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge is composed of the main bridge, north and south bridge towers, and north and south approach bridges. Sidewalk on either side of the road is 2.25 meters wide. 4 lanes with a total width of 15 meters can let 4 large cars run at the same time. The rail on the lower deck is 14 meters wide with two rails. Two trains can run in opposite directions.
The approach bridge is fitted with 22 bridge openings. The approach bridge presents the form of double-holes and double-curved arch bridge with Chinese characteristics. The bridge towers consists of a pair of larger towers and a pair of smaller towers. The larger one offer a lift to the park under the bridge, the road and rail on the bridge and the viewpoint on the top of the bridge. Covering an area of 20 hectares, the park under the towers is dotted with a variety of flowers and trees. The exhibition hall there introduces the history of the bridge.
The main bridge has 9 piers. Each of the piers has a base with an area of more than 400 square meters. The distance between two piers is 160 meters wide. Railings on the main bridge feature 202 iron reliefs, depicting the natural beauty and the achievements made in the early period of the People’s Republic of China.
On the bridge, you’ll see the views near the bridge. If you visit the bridge at night, views can be more amazing. You can explore it by bike or just with your feet.
Best time to visit the Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge
If you’d like to visit the bridge for photography purposes, the best time to visit is at night.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
How to get to the Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge
A few buses pass by the bridge. Thus, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the bridge tower. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 12, 67, or Bus 69 to the Stop of Nanbao Gongyuan (南堡公园站). Then, walk to the bridge.
Additional Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- Opening hours for the park under the bridge: 07:30 – 18:00
- As at 15th October 2020, tourists can visit the bridge for free.
- As at 15th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the park under the southern tower is 15 CNY per person; children under 1.3m tall (1.3m tall not included) is free of charge. For the latest pricing, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- If you’re not planning to visit the bridge in summer, it is suggested that you take enough clothes with you on the bridge as it is windy there.
Interested in visiting Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge on a Tour?