Nanjing Stone City - Ancient Fortified city ruins with a history of over 2,000 years
Last Update: 15th October 2020
Originally built in 333 BC, the Nanjing Stone City has a length of 3,000 meters. In 211, Sun Quan (182 – 252) built a city on the Stone Mountain. The city is situated at the meeting point of Yangtze River and Qinhuai River. In ancient China, the city was regarded as a strategic post.
Nanjing Stone City Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Shitoucheng (石头城)
- Area: 16.94 x hectares
- Things to do there: Photography, History and Culture, Archaeology
- Who visits: Photographers, History and Culture Lovers, Archaeologists
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
Interested in visiting the Nanjing Stone City on a Tour?
What to expect at the Nanjing Stone City
The base of Stone City was built on the natural rocks. Several uneven red glutenites look like faces of beasts due to the erosion of water so that the city is also called “City of Ghost’s Face”. In front of the wall with Ghost’s Face is a clear pond. You’ll see the reflection in the water.
The city is fitted with 2 gates in the south and 1 gate in the east. There is no gate in the north and the west as the section are situated adjacent to the Yangtze River.
Nowadays, you’ll find the ruins of the city gates. Bricks of the gates witnesses the history. It is also worth exploring the ruins of the watchtower at the junction of the north wall and east wall. The bridge also leads to the west bank of Qinhuai River.
The nearby Qingliang Mountain offers several historical spots to enjoy. In spring, sakura, pear flowers, and peach blossoms make for a beautiful picture while in autumn, you’ll see yellow Chrysanthemum and gingkgo leaves on the mountain.
Best time to visit the Nanjing Stone City
If you’d like to visit the city for photography purposes, the best time to visit is in the afternoon.
The best months to visit are from March to October.
How to get to the Nanjing Stone City
Several buses pass by the city. Thus, there are several options.
- Rent a a vehicle to the city. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 20, 43, 60, 91, 160, 303, 317, 502 or Bus 552 to the Stop of Qingliangshan Gongyuan (清凉山公园站). Then walk to the city.
Additional Nanjing Stone City Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- As at 15th October 2020, tourists can visit the city for free.
- Please wear comfortable hiking shoes.