Nanjing Road - Shanghai’s famous shopping street
Last Update: 8th October 2020
Nanjing Road is the most famous commercial street in Shanghai. Various kinds of shops together with famed buildings stand on either side of the road. In the evening, under the background of various neon lights, the distinctive buildings present their own beauty and charm. Whenever it is, the road is crowded.
Nanjing Road Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Nanjinglu(南京路)
- Length: 5.5 x kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Shanghai Culture and History, Architecture, Shopping
- Who visits: Photographers, Chinese Culture and History Lovers, Shopping Lovers
- Time required: 3 – 4 x Hours
What to expect at Nanjing Road
Originally established in 1860, Nanjing Road offers more than 700 shops to explore, including some international luxuries shops and China time-honored shops. If interested, you can enjoy the shows at the Century Square and watch movies at Grand Bright Theater which has created countless firsts in the Asian and Chinese film industry.
The Bailemen Ballroom is a famous comprehensive entertainment venue in Shanghai. In the past, almost all customers who enjoyed the eligibility to entertain themselves there were top celebrities such as Chiang Kai-shek, Family Kong, Dai Li, Far East godfather Du Yuesheng, comedy master Chaplin, etc. Nowadays, Bailemen is stilled famed throughout China.
You also can visit the old temple – Jing An Temple located at No. 1686, Ciros Plaza – a 37-storey complex that combines business, office, and entertainment facilities, Westgate Mall where many international companies set their offices, the world-famous hotel – Shanghai Fairmont Hotel, KSL Cake – now offering Western desserts, Western restaurants and cafes and the like.
Nanjing Road also features various types of cuisine, ceramics, jewelry, Western and Chinese instruments, and entertainment facilities, such as bowling, tennis, ballrooms, etc. At the end of the Nanjing Road, you will find the Bund International Architecture Exhibition and other beautiful buildings. The list for the scenic spots on the Nanjing Road is endless.
Best time to visit Nanjing Road
If you are planning to visit Nanjing Road for photography purposes, the best time to visit is in the evening.
The best months to visit are from March to November.
There are several buses passing by the road. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the road. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 17, 20, 33, 37, 46, 48, 49, 66, 112, 123, 135, 145, 312, 313, 316, 801, 805, 864, 916, 925, 952, 934, 980, 18 and Bus 537 to the road.
- Take Metro Line 1 to the stop of the People’s Square (人民广场站).
- Take Metro Line 2 or Line 8 to the Stop of the People’s Square (人民广场站).
- Take Metro Line 2 to the Stop of Nanjing West Road (南京西路站) or the Stop of Nanjing East Road (南京东路站).
- Take Metro Line 10 to the Stop of Nanjing East Road (南京东路站).
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- Admission fee: free
- Please take good care of your valuables as there are many visitors there at any time.
- You can explore The Bund after visiting Nanjing Road.