Mufu Palace - a must-visit pagoda & palace complex in Lijiang
Last Update: 19th October 2020
Mufu Palace is located in the southwest of Old Town of Lijiang. It was originally built in the early of Ming Dynasty (1368 – 1644). Through 470 year, the original palace was destroyed in the earthquake in 1996. With the help of the World Bank, the existing palace was rebuilt again. Local architects and craftsmen completed it through 3 years’ hard work. Although the palace was rebuilt, it reflects the splendid momentum.
Mufu Palace Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Mufu (木府)
- Area: 3 x hectares
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture, Naxi History
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Architects
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
Mufu Palace fully reflects the simple style of the architecture in the Ming Dynasty. Based on the architectural style in the region of Henan, Shanxi, Shaanxi and Hebei in the Ming Dynasty, it incorporates the local craftsmanship of Naxi and Bai Ethnic Minorities. The palace was rebuilt in the style of the Forbidden City as well. At the palace, you will see various species of rare flowers and trees.
The words on the stone archways show that Mu Tusi in the ancient times paid much attention to the cultural education. After you walk through the red gate, Yishi Hall, Wanjuan Building, Hufa Hall, Guangbi Building, Yuyin Building and Sanqing Hall will come into sight in order. The buildings stand on the central axis of the palace. On either side of the central axis are side halls, pavilions, courtyards and corridors. There are more than 160 rooms. Yishi Hall is the place where Mu Tusi discussed affairs of government. Mu Tusi discussed the domestic affairs at Hufa Hall. Yuyin Building is the place where Mu Tusi enjoyed dancing and singing and held banquets. Sanqing Hall presents that Mu Tusi promoted Taoism at that time. On the top of Sanqing Hall, visitors can admire the panoramic views of the Old Town of Lijiang as well.
The palace administration offers free Chinese interpretation service. Many Chinese visitors thought the service was great that they could get acquainted with the culture, customs and history of Naxi people, history and stories of Mu Tusi, and the buildings in the palace when exploring the palace.
The best time to visit Mufu Palace is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
As Mufu Palace is located in the Old Town of Lijiang, you should get to the old town first.
- Rent a vehicle to the entrance to the Old Town of Lijiang. Then walk to the palace.
- Take Bus 12, 3 and Bus 21 to the Stop of Nanmen Street (南门街). Then, walk to the palace.
- Take Bus 2 and Bus 13 to the Stop of Old Town CarPark (古城停车场). Then, walk to the palace.
- Opening hours: 08:30 – 17:30
- As Mufu Palace lies in the Old Town of Lijiang, visitors need to get the ticket for the old town.
- The entrance ticket for the Old Town of Lijiang is 50 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) and the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge. The ticket is valid in 1 month.
- As at 19th October 2020 the entrance pricing to Mufu Palace is 60 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge.
- For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please take care of the entrance ticket for the Old Town of Lijiang with you as you will be required to present it when you are visiting some attractions in the old town.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream and sunglasses with you.