Mosuo Folk Museum - museum in China that reflects the folklore of the matriarchal clan
Last Update: 19th October 2020
Situated in Luoshui Mosuo Village, Mosuo Folk Museum offers a great chance to get acquainted with the customs and traditions of Mosuo People, such as the customs of “walking marriage”, granny’s room, etc. It was founded in 1998 by local villagers, Wengjici Erqing (翁基次•尔青) and Ruheng Cirenduoji (汝亨•次仁多吉).
Mosuo Folk Museum Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Mosuo Minsu Bowuguan (摩梭民俗博物馆)
- Location: Luoshui Mosuo Village
- Things to do there: Photography, Mosuo Culture
- Who visits: Photographers, Cultural Lovers of Chinese Ethnic Minorities
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
Interested in visiting Mosuo Folk Museum on a Yunnan Tour?
What to expect at Mosuo Folk Museum
At Mosuo Folk Museum, you will see the flower room of Mosuo females, granny’s room, and scripture hall. The precious materials, pictures, and local handicrafts at the museum will take you to the world of Mosuo People.
The aged females have the absolute rights in Mosuo families. The bedroom they live is called “granny’s room”. The door of the room is not tall while the threshold is high. The wooden bed of the granny is located on the right of the door. Two wooden poles stand in the middle of the room. The two poles must come from the same tree. The root of the tree is made into the pole for females while the branch of the tree is made into the pole for males. On the middle of the right wall is the God of Fire worshiped. The memorial tablet for the God of Fire is the fireplace where Mosuo people cook three meals. Fire is sacred for Mosuo people. The fire couldn’t be stepped over. The wall of the room is decorated with many Thangka. During the daytime, Mosuo people meet guests in granny’s room. In the evening, boys and girls under 13 years old sleep on the floor of the room. When the coming-of-age ceremony for girls is held at age of 13, they will sleep in the flower room.
At the museum, if you are lucky enough, you will see the procedures of walking marriage. Local villagers will demonstrate their daily farming activities as well there.
Best time to visit Mosuo Folk Museum
The best time to visit Mosuo Folk Museum is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
How to get to Mosuo Folk Museum
As Mosuo Folk Museum is located in Luoshui Mosuo Village, you just need to get to the village and walk to the museum then. There are direct buses to Luoshui Mosuo Village from Lijiang. Therefore, you have a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the village. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a direct bus at Lijiang Bus Station (丽江客运站), Yuhe Square CarPark (玉河广场停车场) at the enthrance of the Old Town of Lijiang or Lijiang Gaokuai Bus Station (丽江高快客运站) to Daluoshui Village (大落水村).
Additional Mosuo Folk Museum Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 08:30 – 17:00
- As at 19th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the museum is 30 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- Visitors are not allowed to take pictures of the memorial tablet for the God of Fire in granny’s room.
- There is a spot in the museum where herbal medicine is sold. The pricing for the medicine is very high.