Master of the Nets Garden - one of the famous UNESCO world heritage sites in Suzhou
Last Update: 15th October 2020
Originally built in the Southern Song Dynasty (1127 -1279) and rebuilt in 1770, Master of the Nets Garden is typical of the medium-sized classical landscape garden in Suzhou. It is the smallest among Suzhou Gardens.
Master of the Nets Garden Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Wangshiyuan (网师园)
- Area: 0.5 x hectares
- Things to do there: Photography, History and Culture, Architecture
- Who visits: Photographers, History and Culture Lovers, Architects
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
Interested in visiting the Master of the Nets Garden on a Tour?
What to expect at the Master of the Nets Garden
As a Master of the Nets Garden was privately owned by different persons. Most of the owners were literati. Therefore, the garden features several steles with poems on. The garden is not so popular as the Humble Administrator’s Garden. Therefore, you can enjoy a relatively quiet environment there.
The entrance to the garden stands behind the screen wall. Drum-shaped bearing stones on either side of the entrance are carved with reliefs of lion rolling a silk ball. Most of the buildings there have beautiful cornices.
Windows and doors are decorated with exquisite carvings. The original Mahogany furniture is well preserved. The 0.5-hectare-area is fitted with more than 15 buildings. Though, the layout of the garden won’t let you feel it is crowded or narrow.
The Peony Study has Chinese herbaceous peony in blossom at late spring to enjoy. The Mingxuan Building at Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York was built based on the blueprint of the study. The Five Peaks Library is located between courtyards with artificial peaks. Viewpoint of Zhuwai Yizhixuan features gorgeous views in spring to enjoy. Watch Pine and Enjoy Painting Room is a great spot to appreciate snow views in the garden. Old pines and cornices are covered with snow. Yuedao Fenglai Pavilion is surrounded by waters in three directions. It has six cornices. It is a great spot to appreciate the moon at night.
In summer, you can watch fishes and enjoy water lily at the corridor of Zhuoying Waterside Pavilion. The small Yinjing Bridge is just 2.4 meters long. The width is less than 1 meter. You’ll find amazing peony reliefs on the bridge while the bridge body is home to Chinese wistaria. The magnificent Hall of Scrolls was the spot where the owners met guests.
In addition, from April to October, visitors can explore the garden from 19:30 to 22:00 at night. Apart from the buildings, you can enjoy local folk shows and live Chinese classical instruments show, such as Kunqu Opera, dance, Su Opera, Guzheng, Xiao, etc.
Best time to visit the Master of the Nets Garden
If you want to get distinctive experience, you can explore the garden at night when it is opened from April to October.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
How to get to Master of the Nets Garden
Several buses pass by the garden. Thus, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the garden. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 529, 931, 55, 202, 811, or Bus 47, to the Stop of Wangshiyuan (网师园站). Then walk to the garden.
- Take Bus 501, 511, or Bus 204 to the Stop of Wangshiyuan Bei (网师园北站). Then walk to the garden.
Additional Master of the Nets Garden Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 07:30 – 17:30 (April 16 – October 30); 07:30 – 17:00 (October 31 – April 15)
- Opening hours at night: 19:30 – 22:00 (April 1 – October 31)
- As at 15th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the garden is 30 CNY per person; children between 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) and 1.4m tall (1.4m tall not included) are charged 15 CNY per person; the elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 70 years old (70 years old not included) are charged 15 CNY per person; the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) and children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge; For the latest pricing, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The entrance pricing to the garden at night (19:30 – 22:00 (April 1 – October 31) is 100 CNY per person at all ages.
- For the latest pricing, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- Please book the entrance ticket via Suzhou Tourism Official Account (苏州旅游总入口)on WeChat.
- Please present your passports to the staff at the entrance.
Interested in visiting Master of the Nets Garden on a Tour?