Maoling Mausoleum - the largest mausoleum from the Xi Han Dynasty
Last Update: 9th October 2020
What is the Maoling Mausoleum?
The Mao Ling Mausoleum was originally built in 139 BC and completed in 87 BC. It is located in Xingping, Xianyang, Shaanxi, 50 kilometers west of Xi’an. Emperor Liu Che (156 - 87 BC) has slept in the mausoleum for more than 2,000 years. Over 20 accompanying tombs are located near his mausoleum, including Wei Qing, Huo Qubing, Huo Guang and Jin Ridi.
Maoling Mausoleum Fast Facts
Interested in visiting the Maoling Mausoleum on a Xian Tour?
Wendy Wei Tours offers a variety of different packaged tours as well as custom tours including the Maoling Mausoleum, among other attractions and destinations. To find out more, please visit our Tours page or Contact Us directly to find out more.
What to expect at the Maoling Mausoleum
Tall and magnificent, Mao Ling Mausoleum with a shape of a square cone is known as the "Oriental Pyramid". Mao Ling is 46.5 meters tall, 39.25 meters long from the east to the west on the top and 40.60 meters from the south to the north on the top. On the bottom, it is 243 meters long in the eastern side, 238 meters long in the western side, 239 meters long in the southern side and 234 meters long in the northern side.
Considerable treasures are in the underground palace of the mausoleum. Unfortunately, the mausoleum has been stolen many times in history. Most of the cultural relics on display in Maoling Museum which is situated 1 kilometer from Mao Ling Mausoleum are from the accompanying tombs.
Visitors can enjoy the exquisite sapphire animal face appliques, bronze rhinoceros-shaped wine goblets, large hollow bricks with rosefinches, dragons, and geometric lines on the surface ans tiles with the ancient letters on. In addition, the national stone carvings in the Xi Han Dynasty are well-preserved in the museum.
Best time to visit the Maoling Mausoleum
The best time to visit Mao Ling Mausoleum is in the morning as it is not hot during its opening hours. The best months to visit are from March to May, and from September to October.
How to get to the Maoling Mausoleum
Mao Ling Mausoleum is located in Xingping, Xianyang, Shaanxi, 50 kilometers west of Xi’an. Therefore, there are only a few options.
- Rent a vehicle from Xi’an or Xianyang. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a direct bus from Xi’an Chengxi Passengers Bus Station (西安城西客运站) to Xingping First Passengers Bus Station (兴平第一客运站). Then, take Bus 11 to Mao Ling Museum. After visiting the museum, walk for 1 kilometers to Mao Ling Mausoleum.
Additional Maoling Mausoleum Travel Advice
- Opening hours for Mao Ling Museum: March 1 - November 30: 07:00 - 19:00; December 1 - February 28/29: 08:00 - 18:00
- As at 9th October 2020, from March 1 to November 30, entrance pricing to Mao Ling Museum is 80 CNY per person; from December 1 to February 28/29, entrance pricing to Mao Ling Museum is 60 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- Please note Mao Ling Museum is not in Mao Ling Mausoleum area. It is 1 kilometer from the mausoleum.
- Please do not touch, climb and scribble the cultural relics in the museum.