Maolan – Karst Lanform Natural Forest in Southern Guizhou Province
Last Update: 5th October 2020
What is Maolan?
Bordering on Guangxi Province and located in Southern Guizhou Province, the Maolan Karst Forest is located some 80 kilometers from Xiaoqikong Scenic Area in Li Bo Area. It offers the largest karst primary forest in the world for visitors to explore. It is also a home to the Buyi, Shui and Yao ethnic minorities.
Maolan Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Maolan Guojiaji Ziran Baohuqu (茂兰国家级自然保护区)
- Area: 21,285 hectares
Things to do there: Photography, Hiking, Ethnic Minority Culture Experiences
- Who visits: Photographers, Nature Lovers, Adventure enthusiasts
- Time required: 2 x Days
What to expect at Maolan
Best time to visit Maolan
If you are planning to visit Mao Lan for photography and adventure purposes, the best time to visit is from May to October. Especially in summer, Mao Lan is a perfect resort with the green forests, cool caves and waterfalls and streams around.
How to get to Maolan
There is no direct bus from Libo County while Maolan Libo Tourists Center offers buses and small group tours to Maolan Karst Forest. As at 19th June 2019, the admission fee to the bus is 60 CNY per person. Please note that, if you arrive at Maolan Libo Tourists Center after 08:30 or don’t book the seat or the group tour ahead, you have to arrange your own transportation to Maolan.
As Maolan is underdeveloped, there are only a few options.
- Rent a vehicle from Libo County or Jinchengjiang, Hechi, Nandan in Guangxi to Maolan. These places are not far from Maolan.
- Take a bus (Route: 贵阳 – 金城江) from Guiyang Bus Station (贵阳客车站) to Jinchengjiang. The Bus stops over at the entrance to Maolan.
- Take a bus (Route: 荔波 – 金城江) from Libo to Jinchengjiang. The Bus stops over at the entrance to Maolan.
- The road through Maolan Karst Forest leads to Dushan and Mawei in Guizhou and Hechi and Nandan in Guangxi. If you don’t stay in Guizhou, you could take a train to Jinchengjiang which is closest to Maolan. Then, transfer to a bus to Maolan.
Additional Maolan Travel Advice
- The network of the mobile service is not available or good in Mao Lan Karst Forest.
- Because the local government doesn’t want to overdevelop Mao Lan, big tour groups are not allowed to visit Mao Lan while individual travelers are allowed to visit it.
- Opening hours: 07:00 – 19:00
- As at 5th October 2020, entrance pricing is 50 CNY per person; insurance fee (not mandatory) is 5 CNY per person; children under 14 years old (14 years old included) and the elder above 60 years old (60 years old included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- As the attractions in Mao Lan Karst Forest are not concentrated, it is suggested to rent a vehicle to visit it.
- If interested to explore the primary forest, it is recommended that you invite a local guide to accompany you to discover it. It is easy to get lost in the forest