Mandan Village Xishuangbanna – Dai ethnic minority village in Xishuangbanna
Last Update: 23rd October 2020
Located around 160 x kilometers southeast of Jinghong City, Mandan Village Xishuangbanna lies in the Nangong Mountain Nature Reserve. It is surrounded by rain forests. Villagers there live a simple life. The traditional life style is passed on from generation to generation.
Mandan Village Xishuangbanna Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Xishuangbanna Mandancun (西双版纳曼旦村)
- Area: 3.41 x square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Chinese Culture, Hiking, Adventure
- Who visits: Photographers, Chinese Culture Lovers, Adventurers
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
What to expect at Mandan Village Xishuangbanna
Mandan Village Xishuangbanna is hidden in forests. There are two Buddhist temples in the village. The stilt houses there are a two-layer structure. The ground floor is for preserving farming tools and firewood while the first floor is for living. The villagers plant sugarcane, rice, fructus amomi and rubber trees. The sunset and the sunrise are gorgeous as well.
The road to the village is line with primitive forests home to wild elephants, monkeys, red deer, etc. On the way, you will hear birds’ singing on the tree. You may see some young boys learning Dai language in the temple withe a roof of golden glazed tiles. They just learn it after school and also do some farming activities and housework. Villagers do their own daily activities without paying any attention to visitors. You may see them doing bamboo weaving, making elephant-foot drums, washing by the river, making Dai costumes and weaving.
The favorite food among locals is the salted glutinous rice fish. The men villagers catch fishes with a traditional net while the women villagers are responsible for making the salted glutinous rice fish. Some of the villagers are passionate. If you pay a visit to their houses, they will get along well with you and entertain you well with their specialties.
Best time to visit the Mandan Village Xishuangbanna
The best time to visit Mandan Village Xishuangbanna is in the morning. If you’d like to enjoy homestay there to experience the local slow life, the best time is in the afternoon. You also could appreciate the amazing sunset and sunrise.
The best months to visit are from March to November.
How to get to the Mandan Village Xishuangbanna
Unfortunately, there is no direct bus to Mandan Village Xishuangbanna. Therefore, the only option is to rent a vehicle from Jinghong to the village.
Additional Mandan Village Xishuangbanna Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 24 hours.
- As at 23rd October 2020, visitors can explore the village for free.
- If you’d like to explore the rain forests near the village, it is suggested that you bring floral waters with you in case there are some bugs in the woods.
- It is suggested to take an umbrella or raincoat with you as it could be rainy and sunny in one day in Xishuangbanna.
- Please wear the sunscreen scream and sunglasses.
Interested in visiting the Mandan Village Xishuangbanna on a Tour?