Luoshui Mosuo Village - village around Lugu Lake offering spectacular sunrise views
Last Update: 19th October 2020
Luoshui Mosuo Village lies on the Lijiang side of Lugu Lake. It was developed very early in the area. The village is the best point for admiring the sunrise at Lugu Lake. It is composed of the Upper Luoshui and the Lower Luoshui. Between December and March, you will see lots of seagulls from Siberia enjoying themselves at the lake.
Luoshui Mosuo Village Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Daluoshui Mosuocun (大洛水摩梭村)
- Location: Near Lugu Lake
- Things to do there: Photography, Hiking, Cycling
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
Luoshui Mosuo Village is home to Mosuo people for hundreds of years. The houses are built with wood completely. They are warm in winter but cool in summer. Mosuo people have the unique custom of “walking marriage”. First, if one young boy likes a young girl, he will walk to her and hit her palm with his fingers. If the girl likes him as well, she will hit his palm three times with her fingers. Matriarchy is prevalent at the village. Mothers have the absolute power to decide on anything. When a girl gives birth to a baby, the baby will be brought up in his mother’s family.
At Luoshui Mosuo Village, you will be amazed by the natural beauty of Lugu Lake and snow-covered mountains in the distance. The village is also a paradise for photographers. In addition, you could visit local houses if you are interested to explore more about Mosuo People. In the evening, the villagers will hold a bonfire party. They will dance their own dancing. If you would like to enjoy the sunrise, it is suggested that you stay overnight at one lake view room. Many tourists said the lake view room offered more stunning view than those which were not that kind.
Boating on Lugu Lake is another way to appreciate the views. The villagers will take you to an islet in the lake by boat. The islet is tranquil with stunning landscape. You could wander around the islet to refresh your body and soul.
Cycling around Lugu Lake is another option to explore the village. The difficulty of cycling is medium as the slopes on the way are steep. On the way, you may encounter unexpected interesting things.
If you are planning to visit the village for photography purposes, the best time to visit is during the sunrise.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
There are direct buses to Luoshui Mosuo Village from Lijiang. Therefore, you have a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the village. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a direct bus at Lijiang Bus Station (丽江客运站), Yuhe Square CarPark (玉河广场停车场) at the enthrance of the Old Town of Lijiang or Lijiang Gaokuai Bus Station (丽江高快客运站) to Daluoshui Village (大落水村).
- Opening hours: 24 hours.
- As Luoshui Mosuo Village is situated by the bank of Luge Lake, visitors are required to buy the ticket for the lake if they would like to explore the village.
- As at 19th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the lake is 100 CNY per person; the ticket for the round-trip chairlift on the Goddess Gem Mountain is 70 CNY per person; the ticket for the toboggan is 40 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please take an umbrella with you to protect the sun or the rain from you.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream and sunglasses.