Luocheng - an old town on the top of a mountain, with a unique “ship-shaped” street
Last Update: 7th October 2020
What is Luocheng?
Located 25 kilometers from Qiwei County and 60 kilometers from Leshan City, Luocheng Old Town stands on the top of a mountain. It is home to 7 ethnic groups, including Han, Hui, Yi, Manchu, Tibetan, Li, and Miao Minorities. The old town is famous for the “ship-shaped” street where visitors can explore the local life deeply.
Luocheng Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Luocheng Guzhen (罗城古镇)
- Area: 3 x hectares
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture, Hiking
- Who visits: Photographers, Architects, Adventure Enthusiasts
- Time required: 1 – 2 x Hours
What to expect at Luocheng
Among them, the tea houses are the most. When you visit the street, you will see lots of local elders playing mahjong with a cup of tea in hand. They won’t pay attention to visitors while they just do their own things. In addition, the owners of restaurants also won’t scream for their food.
In addition, visitors can also explore old temples, such as Lingguan Temple, ruins of Luocheng Temple, ruins of Wangjia Temple, Chongfu Temple, Changlong Temple, Tieshan Lake (铁山湖) in the northern suburbs of the ancient town and Jinjing Warring States Tombs (金井战国墓群) 11 kilometers northeast of the ancient town.
If you are planning to visit Luocheng for photography purposes, the best time to visit is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from March to May and from September to October.
Luocheng is situated some 190 kilometers from Chengdu and 60 kilometers from Leshan. There are shuttle buses from Leshan and Chengdu to the town. Therefore, there are a few options.
- Rent a vehicle from Chengdu or Leshan. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a bus from the Leshan Lianyun Bus Station (乐山联运汽车站) in Leshan City to the old town. The bus trip is about 1.5 hours.
- Take a bus from the Chengdu Shiyangchang Bus Station (成都石羊场客运站) in Chengdu City to the old town. The bus trip is about 2.5 hours.
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- Admission fee: FREE
- Some drivers from Leshan Lianyun Bus Station will drive the bus longer to take more passengers along the road.