What is Liujiang Old Town?
Situated 150 kilometers from Chengdu, 50 kilometers from Wawu Mountain (瓦屋山), and 36 kilometers from Emei Mountain, the Liujiang Old Town (柳江古镇) was originally built in 1140. It features old buildings with high feet and the characteristics of West Sichuan, Zeng Family Estate in the Chinese and Western Style, old piers and hundreds of old trees.
- Chinese Name: Liujiang Guzhen (柳江古镇)
- Location: approx. 2 x hours
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture, Hiking
- Who visits: Photographers, Architecture Learners, Adventure Enthusiasts
- Time required: 5 – 6 x Hours
Visitors can explore Zeng Family Estate which shows the Chinese character of “寿”. The well-preserved estate is the only family estate around the town. The strange and unique shape also reflects the designer’s unique wisdom and thoughtful thoughts.
Visitors can admire the largest sleeping Avalokitesvara in the world in Avalokitesvara Temple located 1,000 meters from the town. Stele Forest for Our Lady (圣母碑林) is also worth visiting. The architectural layout represent the main forms and styles of Liujiang’s and Hongya’s (洪雅) folk architecture
If you are planning to visit Liujiang Old Town for photography purposes, the best time to visit is during the early morning and the sunset.
The best months to visit are from March to May and from September to October.
- Rent a vehicle from Chengdu or Meishan. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a direct bus from Chengdu Shiyangchang Bus Station (成都石羊场车站) to the old town.
- Take a bus from the Bus Station of Chengdu New South Gate (成都新南门车站) to Hongya. Then, transfer to a bus to the old town or the Wawu Mountain.
- Take a direct bus at 08:10 and 09:10 on Sundays and Saturdays from Meishen Bus Station (眉山汽车客运站) to the town.
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- Admission fee: free
- The accommodations in the old town are not as good as those in Chengdu if you are planning to stay overnight in the town for the sunset or sunrise.
- There are several bars and restaurants around the town.
- There are limited food types available