Last Update: 19th October 2020
Located in the northwest of Yunnan, Lijiang was an important passageway of the ancient “Southern Silk Road” and “Tea-Horse Road”. It is situated around 520 kilometers northwest of Kunming. Originally built in 1276, it is home to 23 nationalities, such as Han, Naxi people, Yi people, etc. Lijiang offers several UNESCO World Heritage to explore, including Old Town of Lijiang, Naxi Dongba Ancient Books and Three Parallel Rivers.
- Chinese Name: Lijiang (丽江)
- Length: 20,600 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Archaeology, Adventure, Ethnic Folk Customs
- Who visits: Photographers, Archaeologists, Adventure Enthusiasts, Chinese History and Culture Lovers
- Time required: 3 – 4 x days
If you love the nature, you could enjoy Lugu Lake the bank of which is home to several ethnic minorities, such as Mongolia, Yi, Naxi, Tibetan, Pumi, Zhuang and Bai people. If you enjoy mountaineering, Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, Tiger Leaping Gorge and Lijiang Glacier Park offer a great chance to appreciate the stunning landscape and challenge yourself.
If you are keen on the old culture of ethnic minorities, it is recommended that you visit Mosuo Folk Museum, Naxi Cultural Experience Center, and Lijiang Dongba Kingdom. If you want to know more about the folk custom of Mosuo peole, you could spend half a day exploring Luoshui Mosuo Village.
Lijiang also offers several old towns with hundreds of years to discover, such as Old Town of Lijiang, Shuhe Ancient Town which is quieter than the Old Town of Lijiang, and Baishai Old Town – the capital for the Naxi people which is the quietest among the three old towns.
If you are interested in the old Tea-Horse Road, you could ride a horse along the road and visit the Ancient Tea and Horse Museum to get more acquainted with the culture and history. If you would like to experience the local night life, it is suggested that you explore Lijiang Bar Street and Lijiang Night Market to make your Lijiang Tour more colourful.
Impression Lijiang Show and the Sound of Yunnan Show enable you to know the culture and history of Lijiang in the way of art.
The best months to visit Lijiang are from April to October.
There are several airplanes to Lijiang from the main cities around China, such as Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Chongqing, Nanjing, Wuhan, Guangzhou, Guilin, Xiamen, Guiyang, Nanning, Hangzhou, Xi’an, Urumqi, Lahasa, etc. There are some direct trains to Lijiang from Kunming. Therefore, if you are planning to go to Lijiang by train, you should get to Kunming first. Please get to Lijiang by air or by train based on your schedule.
- If you are planning to climb Jade Dragon Mountain even in summer, please take enough warm clothes with you.
- If you are planning to visit Lijiang in summer, please take an umbrella with you as it is the rainy season there.
- It is suggested that you wear sunscreen cream and sun glasses in spring, summer and autumn in Lijiang.
- Please take care of your valuables in crowded places.