Big Banyan Tree
Last Update: 4th October 2020
What is the Big Banyan Tree?
Standing in the Ten-mile Gallery Scenic Area in Yangshuo, Big Banyan Tree covers an area of more than 1,000 square meters. The girth is more than 7 meters. It has tens of shoots down to the ground. The tree itself and the reflection in the Jinbao River make for great views.
- Chinese Name: Darongshu (大榕树)
- Height: 17 x meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Tree
- Who visits: Photographers, Nature Lovers
- Time required: 0.5 hour
Big Banyan Tree stands by the Jinbao River. Compared to the popularity among foreign tourists, it is more popular among domestic Chinese tourists. Looking in the distance, the round crown is like a green umbrella.
Walk under the tree and you’ll feel cool even in summer. The shoots in the ground reflect the strong vitality of the tree for hundreds of years.
It is said that Liu Sanjie and Aniu Ge got married under the Big Banyan Tree. The tree is also called “Love Tree”. It witnesses love of many couples.
Local villagers in Gaotian Town, usually come to the tree to worship for good health, love and children on the lunar 1st and 15th of every month. They also stick red paper to the shoots of the tree. If you are interested, you could rent the ethnic minority costume to take photos before the tree.
A small hill stands across the Jinbao River. The viewpoint in front of the Chuan Cave on the hill offers the panoramic views of the Big Banyan Tree. In addition, the bamboo forests, Zhuang Minority Village, waterwheels, streams and rice fields nearby create the impressive Chinese paintings.
Best time to visit the Big Banyan Tree
If you’d like to enjoy a quiet environment, the best time to visit is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
How to get to the Big Banyan Tree
There is no direct bus from Yangshuo to the tree and as it is located in the scenic area, private cars are not permitted to run there. But you could take a shuttle bus from the entrance to the area to the tree. As at 11th November 2019, the pass ticket for the bus is 20 CNY per person. You could take the shuttle bus for unlimited times in one day.
Additional Big Banyan Tree Advice
- Opening hours: 08:00 – 17:30
- As at 4th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the tree is 15 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge; the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge; children between 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) and 1.4m tall (1.4m tall not included) are charged 8 CNY per person; the elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 69 years old (69 years old included) are charged 8 CNY per person.
- If you want to take a bamboo raft to the hill across Jinbao River, the pricing is 10 CNY per person.
- For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)