Last Update: 16th October 2020
Lanzhou is an important industrial base and integrated transportation hub in northwest China, one of the important central cities in the western region, an important part of the Xilong Hailan New Economic Belt, an important transportation hub and logistics center in the northwest, one of the five central cities in China for the New Eurasian Continental Bridge. In addition, Lanzhou is the second largest city in the northwest, and the important node city on the Silk Road Economic Belt.
- Chinese Name: Lanzhou (兰州)
- Area: 13,085 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Ruins, Chinese History and Culture
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Chinese History and Culture Lovers
- Time required: 1 – 2 x days
People lived in Lanzhou 5,000 years ago. As it was once one of the important towns on the Silk Road in the ancient times, it offers many ruins and cultural relics to explore.
You can visit the White Pagoda on the White Pagoda Mountain. The White Pagoda was originally built in the Yuan Dynasty (1271 – 1368). The pagoda has survived through several earthquakes. It features a bronze bell casted during the Period of Kangxi Emperor (1662 – 1722). The bell weighs 153.5 kilograms. You can visit Tulugou National Forest Park where the Tibetan people and the Mongols have lived here for hundreds of years. At the park, you can enjoy the natural beauty and lovely wild animals, such as Blue Eared Pheasant, lynx, etc.
If you would like to know more about the Silk Road, especially the Northern Silk Road, Gansu Provincial Museum offers you a great chance. You will find the exquisite silk production, bronze wares in the Shang Dynasty (1600 BC – 1046 BC) and Zhou Dynasty (1046 BC – 256 BC), cultural relics on the Buddhism, and many other materials in the ancient times. You also can explore Zhengning Road Night Market to find more about the local life and meet the needs of your stomach.
The best months to visit Lanzhou are from April to October.
There are many airplanes to Lanzhou from the main cities around China, such as Beijing, Shanghai, Wuhan, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Chengdu, Chongqing and Guilin. There are many trains to Lanzhou from Chengdu, Chongqing, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, etc. Please get to Lanzhou by air or by train based on your schedule.
- Sometimes, the power supply is cut or limited in Lanzhou. Please ask the hotel for the supplying time of the power and the water when you check in.
- In Lanzhou, some hotels are not qualified to host foreign tourists. Please consult the hotel you are interested to book beforehand.
- Please check out the weather forecast in advance.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream and sun glasses even in winter.
- Please take body lotion, lip balm, and hand cream as it is always dry in Lanzhou.