Lancang Mekong River – the largest river in South East Asia
Last Update: 20th October 2020
With a total length of 4,909 kilometers, Lancang-Mekong River runs for 2,139 kilometers around China. In China, it is called Lancang River. The Lancang River flows through the three provinces of Qinghai, Tibet and Yunnan. It is the border river of Laos and Myanmar in Mengla County, Xishuangbanna Dai Autonomous Prefecture. It is named Mekong River outside China. It flows through Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam and finally flows into South China Sea.
Lancang Mekong River Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Lancangjiang – Meigonghe (澜沧江-湄公河)
- River Length: 4,909 x kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Chinese Culture, Cruises, Adventure
- Who visits: Photographers, Nature Lovers, Adventurers
- Time required: 2 – 3 x days
What to expect at the Lancang Mekong River
Lancang-Mekong River runs through Jinghong in Xishuangbanna. You could just enjoy the views along the river in Jinghong with your foot. The night cruise on the river will offer you more amazing views. It will take you to the Olive Dam from Jinghong. It is said that the views between Olive Dam and Jinghong are the most stunning in Xishuangbanna. The night cruise will also take you through Olive Dam to the border of China, Laos and Myanmar.
On the boat, you could not only enjoy the natural beauty along the river, but also can enjoy the local Dai dinner on the first deck. On the second and third decks, the appreciate local Dai traditional singing and dancing shows are a feast for eyes. Modern buildings and local Dai buildings in the colorful lights along the river make for distinctive views in Hongjing. At night, with a length of 600.24 meters, Xishuangbanna Bridge spanning over the river in Jinghong is also one of the highlights of the night cruise. It looks like a peacock. The lights on the bridge change into different color, creating beautiful views to appreciate.
If you don’t have time to stay overnight in Jinghong, the day cruise on the river is another option to admire the views along the river.
Best time to visit the Lancang Mekong River
The best time to visit Lancang-Mekong River in Jinghong is at night.
The best months to visit are from March to November.
How to get to the Lancang Mekong River
If you are in the City of Jinghong, the quickest and most direct way is to rent a vehicle to the riverside.
Additional Lancang Mekong River Travel Advice
- As at 20th October 2020, the departure time for the day cruise is at 16:00 and 16:30 while the departure time for the night cruise is at 19:00, 19:30 and 19:40.
- The entrance pricing to the day cruise is 200 CNY per person and the children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) is charged 100 CNY per person; the entrance pricing to the night cruise is 220 CNY per person and the children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) is charged 110 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The shows on the boat may be a little noisy.
- If you don’t want to try local Dai food, it is suggested that you take your own food on the boat.
- If you are planning to enjoy the night cruise between October and February, it is recommended that you take a jacket with you in case that it is cold when you appreciate the views on the outdoor deck.
Interested in visiting the Lancang Mekong River on a Tour?