Last Update: 18th October 2020
Located in the middle of the Yunnan-Guizhou Plateau, Kunming, the capital of Yunnan is acclaimed as “Spring City” thanks to its pleasant climate around the year and the comfortable living environment. It is high in the north and low in the south. Originally built some 2,200 years ago, Kunming is home to 26 nationalities, including Han, Yi, Hui, Bai, Miao, Zhuang, Dai, Lisu and Hani nationalities. With a long history, Kunming offers a variety of landscape and old buildings to enjoy.
- Chinese Name: Kunming (昆明)
- Length: 21,473 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Archaeology, Adventure, Ethnic Folk Customs
- Who visits: Photographers, Archaeologists, Adventure Enthusiasts, Chinese History and Culture Lovers
- Time required: 3 – 4 x days
If you are interested to immerse yourself in the nature, Dian Lake offers a great chance to appreciate the stunning beauty. In addition, you could enjoy birdwatching in autumn and winter by the lake. If you are crazy about adventure and love photographing, it is recommended that you explore Jiaozi Snow Mountain located around 200 kilometers from the City of Kunming. Various types of stones in different shapes in Kunming Stone Forest will shock you.
If you would like to get acquainted with folk customs of the ethnic minorities in Kunming, Yunnan Nationalities Village is the great place. At the village, you will enjoy the folk customs of 25 ethnic minorities, including their costumes, the unique architectures, their farming tools, their own festivals, the unique dancing, their own ceremonies, etc. You could also visit Yunnan Nationalities Museum and Yunnan Provincial Museum to know some about the ethnic minorities.
Dongchuan Red Land will offer you one-of-a-kind visual shock with its colorful earth. It is ideal for photographing. The viewpoints of Luo Xia Gou, Qicaipo, and Yuepuao are the best spots for photographing the sunrise and sunset between September and December, and between May and June.
Kunming offers several old towns to explore as well, such as Jincheng Ancient Town, and Guandu Old Town. Impression Yunnan Show is regularly performed at Yunnan Art Theater. The performers are the local ethnic minorities from local villages. They wear the unique ethnic costumes.
At Kunming Zoo, you will find the endemic animals, such as gaur, rufous-necked hornbill, black-tailed python, langur, and peacocks. You could also find the giant pandas at Yunnan Wildlife Park. Mijing M60 Creative Park is the ideal place for you to enjoy brainstorms. You can turn your strange ideas into reality at one of the art worshops through your hands. You could discover the local lifestyle at Cuihu Park and try the local food at Kunming Night Market.
In brief, Kunming is a combination of landscapes and various types of entertainment.
If you want to explore the snow-covered mountains, the best months to visit are from November to February. If you are keen on photographing, the best months to visit are from April to October.
There are several airplanes to Kunming from the main cities around China, such as Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Chongqing, Nanjing, Wuhan, Guangzhou, Guilin, Xiamen, Guiyang, Nanning, Hangzhou, Xi’an, etc. There are many trains to Kunming from Chengdu, Chongqing, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Guilin, Shenzhen, Guiyang, Nanning, Nanjing, etc. Please get to Kunming by air or by train based on your schedule.
- If you enjoy climbing the mountains in Kunming, please take enough warm clothes even in summer.
- When it is rainy in Kunming in summer, the temperature is always low. Thus, please take enough warm clothes.
- Please remember to take an umbrella if you are planning to visit Kunming in summer as it is the rainy season.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream and sun glasses even in winter.
- It is suggested to take some aspirin, cold medicine, aminophylline, Rhodiola Soft Capsule, vitamin tablets, and other necessary medicines if you are planning to climb the tall mountains.