Kashgar - famous ancient trading city located in far Western China
Last Update: 17th October 2020
Located in the west of the Tarim Basin, Kashgar lies in the southwestern margin of Xinjiang. Taklimakan Desert is to the east, Karakoram Mountains and the Ali area of Tibet to the south, and the Pamirs Plateau to the west.
Kashgar is the political, economic, cultural and transportation center of southern Xinjiang, and the largest collecting and distribution center for agricultural and livestock products. It is also a major commercial town on the ancient Silk Road and an important meeting point for Eastern and Western economic culture and civilization.
Kashgar Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Ka Shi Ga’ Er (喀什噶尔)
- Area: 1,056.8 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Silk Road History, Adventure, Archaeology
- Who visits: Photographers, Silk Road History and Culture Learners, Adventure Enthusiasts, Archaeologists
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
Karshgar features a variety of old buildings to explore. If you are interested in archaeology, Abaheming’s Tomb, Khan Noi Ancient City in the Late Neolithic, Gao Tai Ancient Homes dating back to the 9th Century at least, etc will be ideal points for you.
If you would like to experience the local culture and history, it is recommended that you explore Ga Er Ancient City at the heart of Kashgar. The ancient city was the capital of Shule Kingdom in the Western Regions in ancient times. There, you will experience the unique environment and relaxing atmosphere and find the well-preserved old buildings originally built more than 2,000 years ago.
If you enjoy immersing yourself in local market, North Jiefang Road Market and East Bazaar will be the perfect places. Karakoram Highway is a paradise for adventure enthusiasts. It is acclaimed as the highest and most beautiful highway in the world. Along the highway are stunning snow-covered mountains, quiet lakes and deep valleys.
As it is the hottest in August in Karshgar and very cold from November to March, it is suggested that you visit Karshgar in other months.
There are several airplanes to Kashgar from the main cities around China, such as Guangzhou, Xi’an, Urumqi, Hongkong, Shenzhen, Jinan, Lanzhou, Shanghai, Chengdu, Chongqing, and Xi’an. Between Islamabad and Kashgar, there are also direct flights. There are many trains to Kashgar from Urumqi, Turpan, Chengdu, Xi’an, Zhangye, Lanzhou etc. Please get to Kashgar by air or by train based on your schedule.
- It is the hottest in August in Kashgar and very cold from November to March.
- In Urumqi, only a few hotels are qualified to host foreign tourists. Please consult the hotel you are interested to book beforehand.
- Please check out the weather forecast in advance in case that the sand storm attacks Urumqi during your tour.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream and sun glasses even in winter.
- It is not suggested to walk around in Kashgar in the evening for your safety.
- Please take enough warm clothes with you as the temperature difference in Kashger is big.