Jinsha Archaeological Museum - cultural and life the Ancient Shu State
Last Update: 20th November 2019
What is Jinsha Archaeological Museum?
With an area of 5 square kilometers, Jinsha Archaeological Site is located in the Qingyang District in the northwest of Chengdu City. The site presents the culture and life of the Ancient Shu State(古蜀王国, 1100 – 600 BC). At that time, the state was the center of the ancient civilization across the Upper Yangtze River.
Jinsha Archaeological Museum Fast Facts
Interested in visiting Jinsha Archaeological Museum on a Chengdu Tour?
Wendy Wei Tours offers a variety of different packaged tours as well as custom tours including Jinsha Archaeological Museum, among other attractions and destinations. To find out more, please visit our Tours page or Contact Us directly to find out more.
What to expect at Jinsha Archaeological Museum
Visitors can explore the important sites in the Jinsha Archaeological Site including large-scale building bases, worshiping area, residential area, large cemeteries, etc. and precious cultural relics such as gold ware, bronze ware, jade ware, stoneware, ivory, and tens of thousands pieces of pottery, and tons of ivory. The site offers the richest gold ware and jade ware with the densest ivory in the world, including the golden sunbird showing the ancient culture and the golden mask used at the worshiping ceremony.
Jinsha Archaeological Site Museum is mainly composed of the Relics Hall, the Exhibition Hall, Tourists Center, Cultural Relics Protection Center, the Jinsha Theater and the Area of Garden. The Relics Hall is built on the site of the worshiping area. It is the oldest, best-preserved worshiping area with the richest worshiping relics. In the Exhibition Hall, visitors will have a little knowledge of the ecological environment, the then buildings, production and life, funeral customs and religious sacrifice through the significant relics and modern technology.
In addition, 4D movie “Dream Back to Jinsha” is displayed regularly in the Exhibition Hall to let visitors know more about the ancient state.
Best time to visit Jinsha Archaeological Museum
The best months to visit is from March to May and from September to November as these months are not so cold or so hot.
How to get to Jinsha Archaeological Museum
Jinsha Archaeological Site is situated in downtown Chengdu. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the site. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 5, Bus 32, Bus 41, Bus 63, Bus 64, Bus 79, Bus 82, Bus 84, Bus 96, Bus 100, Bus 111, Bus 123, Bus 163, Bus 305, Bus 311 and Bus 320 from the heart of the city to the site directly.
- Take Metro Line 2 to the Stop of Yipin Tianxia(一品天下站) 300 meters away from the museum. Then, walk to the museum.
- Take Metro Line 4 to the Stop of Cultural Palace (文化宫站) 200 meters from the museum. Then, walk to the museum.
Additional Jinsha Archaeological Museum Travel Advice
- Opening hours: May 1st ~ October 31st: 08:00 – 20:00 (the tickets are not issued from 19:00); November 1st ~ April 30th: 08:00 – 18:30 (the tickets are not issued from 17:30)
- The museum is closed on Mondays except in January, February, July, August and festivals of China.
- As at 20th November 2019, entrance pricing for the site is 80 CNY per adult; Children under 6 years old(6 years old included) and 1.3m(1.3m included) and the elder above 70 years old(70 years old included) with ID cards or passports are free of charge; 40 CNY per person is for children between 6 years old and 18 years old(18 years old included) and the elder above 60 years old (60 years old included) with ID cards or passports. Please get the ticket at the South Gate, East Gate and North Gate.
- The museum offers English interpretation services: 150 CNY one time for the group of 1 – 5 persons; 200 CNY one time for the group of 6 – 10 persons; 250 CNY one time for the group of 11 – 15 persons; 300 CNY one time for the group of 16 – 20 persons; 350 CNY one time for the group of 21 – 30 persons; Duration for interpretation services: 1.5 hours.
- For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- The museum offers the self-audio guide rental service. It offers English, Japanese, Korean, French, German, Spanish and Chinese interpretation. The rental is 10 CNY per set. And the deposit is 200 CNY per set.
- Don’t talk loudly in the site.
- In order to ensure the exhibiting effect, the lighting in the Exhibition Hall is dark, so please take care of yourself.