Jingzhen Octagonal Pavilion – Pavilion originally built during the Qing dynasty
Last Update: 23rd October 2020
Originally built in 1701, Jingzhen Octagonal Pavilion is one of the important cultural relics in Xishuangbanna. With a shape of octagon, it stands on the top of a hill. It is named after its location – Jingzhen which means a place where the religious ceremonies are held in Dai language. Jingzhen Octagonal Pavilion is a fusion of the style of buildings in Southeast Asia and the classical Chinese buildings in ancient times. It is typical of Buddhist buildings in Xishuangbanna.
Jingzhen Octagonal Pavilion Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Jingzhen Bajiaoting (景真八角亭)
- Height: 21 x meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Buddhism, Hiking, Adventure
- Who visits: Photographers, Buddhist disciples, Adventurers
- Time required: 30 – 60 x minutes
What to expect at Jingzhen Octagonal Pavilion
Jingzhen Octagonal Pavilion, a brick and wood structure, is 21 meters tall. It has 21 surfaces and 32 corners. Walls are decorated with reliefs of beasts, including elephants, lions and tigers. The outer walls are inlaid with mirror and stained glass which add more charm to the pavilion. The pavilion room on the base is 6 meters wide and 2.5 meters high. There are 24 walls in the room, and the walls are painted with gold powder.
The top of the pavilion is a multi-storey eave with a tapered structure. The 12 10-meter-long beams support 10 chic octagonal pavilions. The eight corners are decorated with golden pheasants, phoenixes and colorful exotic carvings.
Best time to visit the Jingzhen Octagonal Pavilion
The best time to visit Jingzhen Octagonal Pavilion is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from March to November.
How to get to the Jingzhen Octagonal Pavilion
Unfortunately, there is no direct bus to the hill where the pavilion is located. Therefore, the only option is to rent a vehicle from Jinghong to the hill.
Additional Jingzhen Octagonal Pavilion Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 09:00 – 17:00
- As at 23rd October 2020, the entrance pricing to the pavilion is 10 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- It is suggested to take an umbrella or raincoat with you as it could be rainy and sunny in one day in Xishuangbanna.
- Please wear the sunscreen scream and sunglasses.
Interested in visiting the Jingzhen Octagonal Pavilion on a Tour?