Jinghong – capital city of Xishuangbanna Province
Last Update: 20th October 2020
Located in South Yunnan, Jinghong is the capital of Xishuangbanna. Menghai County is on the weast, Mengla County is on the east and Puer City is on the northeast. Myanmar is located on the south. It is declared as an “excellent Tourism City in China” and “National Garden City”.
Jinghong Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Jinghong (景洪)
- Area: 6,958 x square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Chinese Culture, Architecture, Adventure
- Who visits: Photographers, Chinese Culture Lovers, Architects, Adventurers
- Time required: 2 – 3 x days
What to expect in Jinghong
Endowed with the subtropical monsoon climate, Jinghong offers the forest coverage rate of 84.46%, and the urban green space coverage rate of 46.65%. It is decorated with hundreds of species of animals and plants, including rare wild animals, such as Asian elephants, Indo-Chinese tigers, gaurs, hornbills, green peafowls and the like.
If you want to admire the wild elephants in Jinghong, you could explore Xishuangbanna Wild Elephant Valley Tropical Rain Forest Scenic Area where you could try the sky walk on the crown canopy and have drinks at one of the forest bars. Xishuangbanna Primitive Forest Park (Xishuangbanna Virgin Forest Park) features the best-preserved tropical valley rain-forest south of the Tropical of Cancer. In the area, you will see the well-preserved Aini Mountain Village, a variety of wild life, and enjoy the delicious barbecue.
If you are interested to know some about the Buddhist culture in Jinghong, Mengle Buddhist Temple on the top of a mountain is a good choice. You could enjoy the panoramic views of the city of Jinghong there. Manting Park offers a great chance to you to get a little acquainted with the cultures of Dai royal family, Buddhism and Dai customs. As the oldest park in Xishuangbanna, it is more than 1,300 years old. You could find wild bears, wild boars, pythons, peacocks and other animals in the park. What’s more, if interested, you could enjoy the bonfire party at night at the park.
Best time to visit Jinghong
The best months to visit Jinghong are from March to November.
How to get to Jinghong
You could take a flight to Jinghong or a direct bus from Kunming.
Additional Jinghong Travel Advice
- As for the opening hours for the well-known spots in Jinghong, please view the related pages.
- It is suggested to take an umbrella with you as it could be rainy and sunny in one day in Jinghong.
- Please wear the sunscreen scream and sunglasses.
- If you want to explore the forests in Jinghong, it is suggested that you bring floral waters with you in case there are some bugs in the woods.