Jiming Temple - one of the oldest temples in Nanjing
Last Update: 15th October 2020
Originally built during the Western Jin Dynasty (265 – 316), Jiming Temple (also known as Gujiming Temple) was the center of Buddhism in the Southern Dynasties (420 – 589). It is situated on the eastern hillside of Jilong Mountain. The existing one was rebuilt in 1983 based on the scale and layout in the Ming (1368 – 1644) and Qing (1644 – 1912) Dynasties.
Jiming Temple Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Jimingsi (鸡鸣寺)
- Area: 5 hectares
- Things to do there: Photography, History and Culture, Buddhism
- Who visits: Photographers, History and Culture Lovers, Buddhist Believers
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
What to expect at Jiming Temple
Jiming Temple is composed of the main hall, Avalokitesvara Hall, Wei Tuo Bodhisattva Hall, Pharmacist Buddhist Pagoda, Bell and Drum Tower, Buddhist Sutras Building, etc.
The gate of the temple has yellow walls. Three statues of Pi Lu Buddha stand in the middle. Manjusri Buddisattva and Samantabhadra are worshiped on either side respectively. Avalokitesvara in the Avalokitesvara Hall is different from those in other temples. Others face south while this one face north.
Pharmacist Buddhist Pagoda is 44 meters tall. It is the fifth pagoda in history of Jiming Temple. Visitor can strike the bell, write on a card and hang a lantern to pray for blessings. Many young people pray for a happy marriage in the temple. Surprisingly, many of them have acquired what they preyed for. If interested, you can also do that but you’d need to do it according to the basic steps and honestly.
In March and April, sakura in blossom adds more attractions to the temple. However, it may be very crowded there during the period of time. When it is snowy, views of the temple is distinctively amazing as well and it is not crowded. Baiweizhai Vegetarian Restaurant in the temple features delicious dishes to enjoy.
Best time to visit the Jiming Temple
If you don’t want to be surrounded by tourists, the best time to visit is in the early morning.
The best months to visit are from March to November.
How to get to the Jiming Temple
Several buses pass by the temple. Thus, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the temple. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 1, 2, 3, 11, 20, 24, 31, 44, 48, 52, 67, 70, 140 and Bus 304 to the Stop of Jimingsi (鸡鸣寺站). Then walk to the temple.
Additional Jiming Temple Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 07:30 – 17:00. It is opened to the public from 05:00 am from the lunar 1st to the 15th of January. It is opened at night on February 18, June 18, September 18 in the Chinese lunar calendar and the China’s New Year Eve.
- As at 15th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the temple is 10 CNY per person. During the spring festival, it is 20 CNY per person.
- For the latest pricing, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- Please keep quiet in the temple.