Jiayuguan Fort - well-preserved fort along the Great Wall of China
Last Update: 17th October 2020
Jiayuguan Fort is located 6 kilometers southwest of Jiayuguan City, in the middle of the narrowest valley in Jiayuguan. It was originally built in 1372 and completed in 1539. The fort is the most dangerous one along the Great Wall of China.
Jiayuguan Fort Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Jiayuguan Guancheng (嘉峪关长城)
- Length: 733 x meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Hiking, Architecture
- Who visits: Photographers, Architecture Learners, Adventure Enthusiasts
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
What to expect at the Jiayuguan Fort
Jiayuguan Fort is composed of the inner city, the outer city and the moats. The fort is connected with the Great Wall. The circumference of the inner city with an area of 25,000 square meters is 640 meters. Its wall is 10.7 meters tall. It offers the East and West Gates. Both of the gates are surrounded by an outside enclosure. A wall stands around the West Gate.
On the city wall of the inner city, you can explore the ramparts, watchtowers, turrets, and attics. If interested, you could visit General’s Office, Guandi Temple, the theater stage and Wenchang Pavilion at the fort. On the fort, you will shocked at the views of the Great Wall.
Best time to visit the Jiayuguan Fort
If you are planning to visit Jiayuguan Fort for photography purposes, the best time to visit is during the sunset.
The best hours to visit are from April to October.
How to get to the Jiayuguan Fort
There are only a few buses passing by the Jiayuguan Fort. Therefore, there are only a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to Jiayuguan Fort from Jiayuguan City. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 4 to the Stop of Guancheng Scenic Area (关城风景区站). Then, walk to the fort.
- Take Bus 6 to the Stop of Guancheng Tourist Scenic Area (关城旅游风景区站). Then, walk to the fort.
Additional Jiayuguan Fort Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 08:00 – 19:00
- As at 17th October 2020, from May to October, the entrance pricing to Jiayuguan Fort is 120 CNY per person; from November to April, the entrance pricing to Jiayuguan Fort is 100 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please check out the weather forecast beforehand as sometimes the sand storm comes by Jiayuguan City.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream and sun glasses even in winter.
- Please take body lotion, lip balm, and hand cream as it is always dry in Jiayuguan.